Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Four and One Half Minutes

Ned, that's an amazing image you ended up with! To my eyes, a nearly natural *color* image of Petaluma hills!

The camera is a simple cylindrical can, with the paper wrapped most of the way around the inside, and a 500 uM pinhole in the center of the press-on lid.
    Inside is painted flat, textured black, and I'm using a black refrigerator magnet for a shutter. Leaving pre-flashed paper inside, facing up, for 5 minutes in the sun, showed no light leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned.Lewis View Post
    ...Evan, I recently overexposed a VC paper negative by accident and developed it in dektol 1:8 which I made by taking some well used yellow 1:4 dektol and adding ice water. The results were extremely interesting ( warm and varying color, reduced contrast, and an amazing range of tones. ) The inverted version is currently at the top of my flickr page. This is high on my list of things to experiment with.. I'll be thrilled if I can repeat this intentionally!
    Ned that's an impressive print. It sounds a bit like a modified Lith process, was your development time very long?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBell View Post
    ...This paper is just TOO fast!
    I re-visited my exposure math, and really was understating it; at the halfway point up the side of the wall, I have to take into consideration some 25% foreshortening of the pinhole on one axis, giving an effective f-ratio more like f/314. That's almost 400 times less than f/16.
    5 seconds exposure was too much, so at least ASA 80 ?!?
    Dave, I expect the majority of your problem is dev.-inc. emulsion. In the distant past my experience with Agfa "...speed" papers is they are just too active for anything other than straight work. As near as I can tell from perusing RC paper documentation at Freestyle, Ilford is the only one with a developer-free emulsion.

Steve

I don't think anyone had come up with that when this paper was fresh - say mid-1970's!
    It's not even RC...

Dave,

Try the paper again but without any pre flashing. It could be very much chemically fogged due to age, cosmic rays, etc. You might find the fogging gives you an adequate pre-flash without any additional help. Or, the paper could be too far gone to use, unless you can find its current true working ISO (you mentioned 85 earlier) and see what kind of contact prints you can get from that.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Dave, thanks! ( The grass was actually green, but it sure does look like Petaluma Hills in the summer! ) Also, sorry I'm not trying to hijack your thread here :-). I think your paper sounds really interesting... it seems to me there are things you could do with "fast paper"!

Quote Originally Posted by scheimfluger_77 View Post
    Ned that's an impressive print. It sounds a bit like a modified Lith process, was your development time very long?
    Yes. It took a really long time for the image to begin emerging - well over a minute - to the point where I started wondering if the shutter had even opened. Then it got darker ever so slowly. I was able to pull it when it looked "normal" under the safelight easily... maybe 7 or 8 minutes all together. I've made one failed attempt to repeat since, but the failure was due to underexposure.
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12