Thread: Afternoon in the Yard

Afternoon in the Yard

These might be called "test images" from my recently renovated 4"x5" plywood pinhole box camera, f/285, onto Harman DPP.

~Joe

Patio Chairs (7.5 minutes exposure):

Man Cave (5 minutes exposure):

Garden Chair (5 minutes exposure):

Little Chair (5 minutes exposure):
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

This old patio chair belonged to my folks, it dates back to the early 1960s. 5 minutes exposure.

~Joe

"There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    Visit my F295 Gallery

1st one shows full range of tones, black white and mid. You've got the exposure perfect.
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

I like the lock on the man cave door. Those old patio chairs were probably the most comfortable ever; beats the heck out of those plastic jobs. Excellent photography as always Joe.
    "Most people know the names of only two photographers. One is Ansel Adams and the other one isn't." Bill Jay
    See Tales from the Dark Slide in the Gallery section.

The image quality is first class.. well done!

Nice tonal range, and sharp for pinhole. I like your tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    I like the lock on the man cave door. Those old patio chairs were probably the most comfortable ever; beats the heck out of those plastic jobs. Excellent photography as always Joe.
    Very observant, Marv. I've been meaning to make a real handle and latch for the door, but sliding a rock around with my feet seems to do just as well.

You're right about the chairs, they are very comfortable. Originally painted yellow, my Dad painted them dark green years ago, but are now scratched and peeling.

One detail nobody mentioned is on the left side of the shed, a little robot made by my grandson, from metal cans and scraps. Perhaps a picture of it is worth doing in the future.

It's fun to find interesting compositions in an otherwise very ordinary setting, like one's junky yard.

Thanks also to everyone else for your kind comments.

~Joe
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Are this straight or preflashed images with the DPP?

These were preflashed. Using my setup, 3.5 seconds, as compared to 8 seconds for grade 2 RC paper negatives. So, roughly half the preflash exposure of negative paper.

~Joe
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Joe, these pictures are fantastic. Congratulations, full tonality with DPP. Excellent work! My favorite is the picture with the two chairs.
    -_- Best wishes from Switzerland, René -_- my photos on flickr