Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WPPD Snoopy

WPPD Snoopy

There are two famous people from Sonoma County named Charles M. The earliest was Charles M. Scammon who discovered Scammon's Lagoon. Even though he was a whaler ( And that M is for Melville - I don't know if there was any relation! ) he also loved marine mammals and wrote a text that is still referenced today. He retired on a farm in Sonoma county about 8 miles from where I live. The second and more famous was Charles M. Shultz the creator of the peanuts comic. In the spirit of finding something with a local connection for WPPD, my daughter and I went to the Charles Shultz museum. More than one passerby wanted to know "where's the lens?" Here's snoopy:

SnoopyWPPDa.jpg

This was an 8x10 paper negative ( pre-flashed Adorama VC pearl ), exposure was 6 minutes.

I started out in pinhole with a "pinhole trees" project that is still my main interest... yesterday I discovered that the famous kite eating tree is in the museum courtyard. If you know the peanuts comic, the kite eating tree always gets Charlie Brown's kites, usually immediately. Possible target for next year!!!

What fun on WPPD and am already looking forward to the next one. It was neat to devote a whole day to pinhole and my daughter had fun too. Still one more to develop... haven't decided yet which will be my "entry".
    Last edited by Ned.Lewis; 04-30-2013 at 12:36 AM.
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

" haven't decided yet which will be my entry" I will keep an eye on this thread

Hi Colin, here's the other "contender" and my favorite so far:
    DuncansLandingA.jpg

Snoopy is great but your coastal contender is the one I prefer.
    The light and details are stunning.

Just my 2c.
    Please click on my flickr page : www.flickr.com/photos/seoirseosial

If a single photograph is a phrase, then a body of work is the full story.
    (Manuel Alvarez Bravo)

These are both wonderful images, you should be proud of both.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Nice images, I do like Snoopy on his doghouse, but I think I would go with the second image.....

Thanks everyone! I agree.. there's one more to develop but the seaside is my favorite so far. My daughter says it reminds her of "castle in the mist". Snoopy is outside my "norm" for pinhole and it would have been more fun and interesting if my daughter and I had stood on either side of it! I managed to break my pinholaroid a couple weeks ago, otherwise color would have been a good choice too. I like snoopy because it reminds me of how much fun we had that afternoon and the friendly people we met who wanted to know what we were doing.
    Last edited by Ned.Lewis; 04-30-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Yes go with the second image

Here is the final picture from WPPD, fresh from the dektol. It's an 11x14 paper negative from a Hello Kitty popcorn tin. My daughter picked the exposure of 2m20s in pure sunny 16 fashion. The big negative looks neat and I'll definitely be trying this again. This is at Spring Lake Regional Park near Santa Rosa, California.
    8698010784_f74b416805.jpg
    Duncan's Cove was definitely my favorite and I submitted it a little while ago for WPPD.

500+ Posts
    The coast with the shells is stunning. Apparently, on this year's WPPD, misty weather spreaded across continents :-)
    The world is not black and white. It often looks good in grayscale, though.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/msgallery/sets/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast