Thread: Highlight Noise in Scans

Highlight Noise in Scans

I'm wondering how any of you paper negative users deal with the issue of noise in blown out skies when you scan your images? I have an Epson V500, scan my 4x5 negs at 1200-2400 dpi and turn off all the scanner software image adjustmentts before scanning.

Is the noise just a part of the process? I feel like it is more prevalent in some of my photos than others. Below is a photo I took Sunday. Scanned at 1200 dpi. Flipped and inverted in PS. Its on pre-flashed grade 2 paper, by the way.

Does this noise show if you have a digital print made or is it just a byprouduct of viewing the scanned image on a computer screen?

Blown-Out-Sky-Noise-Full.jpg

Blown-Out-Sky-Noise.jpg
    Last edited by rydolan; 05-09-2013 at 08:08 PM.

I will be interested to hear what others have to say about this. I get it too, not just in paper negatives but also in hightlight areas on my darkroom prints. I tend to use paper larger than 4x5, so I usually need to view at 1:1 ( 100% "zoom" ) to see it. I normally scan only at 600 dpi and it looks finer than your example, which makes sense-- it's probably the same size.

I thought it was an artifact of the paper texture rather than noise. My negatives and prints are on pearl and semi-matte paper.

I usually go through and remove any big obvious bits of dust or fibers, then re-size if it's for the web. The "noise" is less noticeable after re-sizing. But I have a funny idea that sometimes it *interacts* with the grain during re-sizing... some of my darkroom print scans look really grainy, when in my hand they look beautiful and the grain is fine and the texture of it looks good and smooth.
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Hi, I use glossy paper as I found the paper texture from Pearl finish surfaces was captured by the scanner.

Best regards,

Evan
    More mad ramblings at http://blog.concretebanana.co.uk