Thread: the bloodroots are blooming

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

the bloodroots are blooming

Spring is late this year - it was still snowing in late April. The robins did not appear until May, and other signs of spring are much later than usual. Bloodroots are one of the first wildflowers to appear in the spring, and this year they are almost a month later than usual. I have tried many times to make pinhole photographs of these flowers. I think that this year's image are better than usual.

These are all taken with my 75 mm plywood 4x5 camera on Arista EDU 100. The aperture is .300 mm, for f250. Development was in HC 110 dilution H.

Bloodroot001.jpg

Bloodroot002.jpg

Bloodroot003.jpg

Bloodroot004.jpg
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet

Excellent, especially the 3rd one. And thanks for telling me the name of those flowers, I didn't think bloodroot was the correct name.
    It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Yes indeed, nicely done. The problem I have is there always seem to just enough breeze to muck up the works. The Gods of still air smiled on you, no matter how briefly....
    "Most people know the names of only two photographers. One is Ansel Adams and the other one isn't." Bill Jay
    See Tales from the Dark Slide in the Gallery section.

Late spring here in France too. It's 6 degrees below the average!
    Nice series Earl, I think the last is my favourite.

Really like these, Earl. I remember your post of bloodroots a few years ago. Spring is late arriving here in southern Ontario as well.

Good series and a nice portrait of a small plants world.
    Spring is about a month behind in the UK.
    I guess our equivalent of the Bloodroot is Bluebells and thy are blooming now, I had better rush out and photograph some……..if the wind and rain leave off long enough
    Does light still exist if we're not looking?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dach_art/

These are great Earl, 1ncredibly sharp.
    Shoot Film Not People

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, all. Marv is right about the wind - the flowers in each of these images were not still. I have found it next to impossible to make long exposures of flowers outside - it is never calm. But, what the heck, we have to keep trying, don't we?

Hey Marv - to overcome your pinhole block - I challenge you to make some close up and personal pinhole wildflower pictures. A little out of your element; it might be just what you need to get you off the schneid.
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet

Wild flowers not so much Earl but I did look at some in the back yard last night to photograph. They really looked still until I quit moving; I guess walking cancels out wind movement sometimes.... May give them a try early or late when the wind subsides a bit. Proves once again that great minds think alike....and us too....
    "Most people know the names of only two photographers. One is Ansel Adams and the other one isn't." Bill Jay
    See Tales from the Dark Slide in the Gallery section.

Love these. The first one is my favorite! Wow! Really sets up the flowers as a bright spot in a dark forest. and the detail and tones in this one are real great.

Spring in Oregon is also in full effect. Think I'll have a go at capturing some of it's lush greenness on pinhole.
    ......above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth.
    -George Eastman.