Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which appears to be better?

Which appears to be better?

I have a new piece of software, Nik Silver Effects Pro. It is a plugin for Photoshop. So, I have been playing with it. It does appear to bring out more detail than I could get with just Photoshop. But, I'm not sure if I like it or not. I have just scratched the surface of what the software can do, so there is still more that can be done. What do you think, which version do you like better? The original version is the first image.....

It's an odd choice - I like the color/tone of #1, but #2 has much more information available. I'd probably take #2 back into Lightroom/whatever and play with the tinting and levels a bit.

I've used Silver FX in the past and I think it's great for converting color digital images into high quality B&W images.

It’s a great image, sorry but I think the original wins.
    #2 looks over processed, #1 has a natural look, OK so it is what we are used to but I like it.
    One image is not going to decide it. In PS I usually find that “shadows and highlights” brings out more detail but looks false no mater what I do with the settings but just once in a while it works really well. Most often I find that pinhole does not respond well to much digital manipulation. Levels, curves and often slight toning. I wonder what others do?
    Does light still exist if we're not looking?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dach_art/

Basically, to me the first looks like a photograph while the second looks like a meticulous pen and ink drawing. Both have their own particular merits. I especially like the upper right quadrant of the second one. It has a wonderful, otherworldly quality to it. The atmosphere in both is superb. I find it difficult to choose between the two.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to work on this image some more. I do like the additional detail of #2, but I think I like the look of image #1 better. Maybe I can come up with a version that has the detail of #2 with the look of #1......

I think I'm with David on this one in terms of the second one looking a little over-processed. I tend to keep processing to a minimum too -- adjust the curve and add some toning, but that's about it. Occasionally I'll run an image through Lightroom to see what I get there.

I could, though, see the Silver Effects "working" with other images, so I'm curious to see what you come up with for other images.
    See my photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drcphotography/

Okay, here is another attempt to get more detail without overdoing it. Is this any better? The original image is #1....

Last edited by jon.oman; 05-24-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Added original image for easy comparison

Quote Originally Posted by DRC View Post
    I think I'm with David on this one in terms of the second one looking a little over-processed. I tend to keep processing to a minimum too -- adjust the curve and add some toning, but that's about it. Occasionally I'll run an image through Lightroom to see what I get there.

I could, though, see the Silver Effects "working" with other images, so I'm curious to see what you come up with for other images.
    Thanks! I have been using this tool with my non-pinhole images with good results so far. A pinhole image is special. You don't want to go too far!

Have I toned it down with my third attempt?

I love this image. The soft light from the background is really nice and it has a special feeling.

I still like the original best. I think the manipulated image looks a little too sharp, and the original "softness" matches that feeling and the light better. For me, the original has a sense of the air and atmosphere... I think the added sharpness detracts from that.

This is obviously a matter of taste and opinion and I have a ( maybe odd! ) tendency to look for aerial perspective and mood.
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Another set, without any sharpening applied, but with a 'coffee' tone. First image is still the original.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast