Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foam Core 8x10 still needs work

Looking good!
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Still need a better solution for light leaks in the corners...

1:36 is longer than you think when trying to hold perfectly still.

Selfie-pinhole by James Harr Photo, on Flickr

What I've been doing is ugly but it works. I often make a second "lid" out of cardboard. Just a rectangle with four 2 or 3 inch flaps. Put on the end of the camera so the flaps cover all potential gaps, then run a piece of tape around the flaps so to make a snug fit. Or if this is really the corners of your box, aluminum foil tape is light-tight and it is pretty tough and resists tearing....

Form and function... I build some pretty ugly cameras! There are people here whose cameras are works of art in and of themselves. So it depends what you want!

Also, I think those light leaks look kinda neat.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeVanCleave View Post

When I've reloaded my foam core cameras into a changing bag while out in the field, I typically am in a seated position (I take a small, lightweight folding 3-legged camping stool as a seating surface, if nothing else is available), where my lap forms a work surface. There's enough extra room in the changing bag to pull off the lid and stow it along one side of the camera, to gain access for changing out the film/paper. With my 5x7 format camera, the lid is on the top surface of the box, therefore I have it positioned inside the bag on my lap top side facing up, so I can pull off the top lid, place it adjacent to the front of the camera and change out the film/paper. With my 8x10 box, the lid is on the right side of the box, so in this case I have it in the changing bag right side up to change out the film/paper.
    I keep wondering what this looks like to a person watching you. Sounds like an opportunity for a self portrait.
    http://idea.uwosh.edu/nick/pinholephoto.htm

Perhaps I'll attempt such a portrait. But with the contraption in my lap, and my arms in the changing bag sleeves making mysterious motions as I change out the paper negatives, it could be misconstrued in appearance as some act of perverse self-fondling. Such are the risks of pinholing in public!

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

I re-designed the 8x10 because I couldn't stand the light leaks. This one works better in that respect, but I need to work a little to get the whole sheet covered.

Here's the tour of the camera:
    http://jamesharrphoto.blogspot.com/2...10-design.html

Here's the first shot.

Coral Tree by James Harr Photo, on Flickr

Nice results, and I also enjoyed the description of the camera on your blog, which I've bookmarked.

I've never used x-ray film, might have to explore that part of LF photography. Can you recommend a good starting place, in terms of what kind of film and where to purchase?

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Thanks Joe. In a previous blog post I talked about my initial foray into x-ray film. I bought a box of 100 sheets of Kodak Clinic Select Green (CSG) from Deep Discount X-Ray online. It is the only x-ray film I have purchased, so I cannot compare it to other types. I know that the Film Photography Project Store also sells x-ray film (Fuji I think), but in the little bit of research I did, there are plenty of 'discount' merchants selling this stuff.

Thanks again and good luck!

James

Nice work James, and a great result!

Taking the lessons learned above, I embarked on a completely different type of camera build. This one will incorporate the 'changing bag bellows' and interchangeable pinholes along with film storage. The construction of the front standard is shown here:
    http://jamesharrphoto.blogspot.com/2...ng-for-it.html
    http://jamesharrphoto.blogspot.com/2...-standard.html

Suggestions, comments, critiques are appreciated.

James

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast