Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wish there was more activity in this forum

Wish there was more activity in this forum

As much as I enjoy seeing the photos ( and I really do, very much ), the "lensless thoughts and observations" and the "xxxx making and modifying" discussion sections are my favorite part of the f295 forums and I spent many hours poring over the contents. I think I'd read them all by the time I joined about a year ago. I don't know if there has been less activity lately or if I was just benefiting from the buildup of years of conversations.

I do remember that during the time I was going back through all the old "lensless thoughts" and camera making posts, that there were always more photos being posted than new posts on the building forums.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this. I don't mean to complain, but just to say that I'd love to see more activity here. And I'm fully aware that I can and should start some conversations here myself. I'm off in Atlanta right now on business and just stopped by f295 in my hotel room at the end of a long day... after this trip my work may get a little less all-consuming, so I'll make an effort to put something here. I do have a couple projects brewing and also a few that are complete that I've never mentioned in a forum post.

I've also got a couple of interesting process-related projects going along... I keep thinking when I get a little further I'll post about them here, but maybe I shouldn't wait. I've got some lensed camera paper negative experiments that are interesting, and also some printing out process contact prints that I've been working at on and off for about 6 months and I'd love to figure out how to get further along. I've also worked out a method of fixing solargraphs that needs to be written up. I'll try to break out the scanner and scan some of these so that I can share what they are about. I've got stacks of prints that have not been scanned.

I suspect that chatting about projects in a forum might help spur them forward too!

Anyway, don't take this the wrong way... there was so much great discussion here I just miss it.

Rgrds to all!

Ned
    Last edited by Ned.Lewis; 11-05-2013 at 11:17 PM.
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I have been too busy with other things. A big factor with not working on pinhole projects is that it is too hot in the summer for me to process film. Now that it is cooler, I am moving towards making some film images.

Speaking of camera build projects, I just purchased a 14x17 inch film holder. I am planning on building a bellows based field camera of this size. I already have a 610mm f9 Nikon APO lens to use with it. Due to lack of funds (I'm still paying off the purchase of the film holder and other items), it may be a while before I can complete this project.

With that in mind, I may build a 14x17 inch pinhole camera, based on my 4x5 and 8x10 inch cameras. It would be quicker and cheaper to start this way. I still have to buy the x-ray film and trays to process it in, etc. Anyway, these are my plans, but life may get in the way!

If I make the pinhole camera, here are the specs:

18 inch focal length
    f578
    63 degree angle of view
    35 inch coverage
    800 micron pinhole

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries
    I wish there were more activity on the whole site. There have been times in the past nine years when it has been difficult to keep up with all the posts, even logging in every day. Things have died down considerably. I will be more active in coming weeks - my remodeling project has finally made it to the darkroom. This week I am building a 3' x 10' darkroom sink and completely revamping the former laundry room as a world class darkroom. Included will be a 3' x 6' quartz counter top for coating papers for alt process work. Argyrotype and carbon prints will be first up. I am also redoing my consulting office and my soap making studio, so I will be good to go. I still have a bunch of projects in the back (and the front) of my mind, so I will be posting more here (and in the images sections) soon.
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet

yup, me too. It's too quiet here. I've got a few projects on the go, not to mind making my pano camera to order. I have something special half finished too...a 4x10" pano camera that holds 50 sheets and has a built in changing bag, a "shelf" above the film compartment for unshot film an one below for shot film, a hinged door at the back that opens into the changing bag....(the changing bag is removeable for shooting/transporting).
    Earl, that darkroom sound like the duck's nuts! Ned,Earl - let's start a breakaway group, call oursleves f29...6!
    Last edited by Jimmy G; 11-06-2013 at 04:02 PM.

I've been guilty of not engaging in pinhole as much as I should. Earlier this week, I had the opportunity to take a Holga pinhole camera with color film, or a digital, on a daytrip. You can figure which one I took. Sigh.

I'm still working (slowly) on an 8x10 version of the light pipe array camera, but the assembly is slow. More updates when it comes together.

I check this site almost once per day, and do also lament the lack of activity, but know it's partly my fault.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries
    I have started a blog about my new darkroom in the Blog section of this forum.
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet

Well I'm back home in California now and will pick a project. One of them would be ready to show if I only make 3 or 4 more pictures, so I think I'll start with that one. It's an experiment in overexposing paper negatives and then using dilute developer and it has a compensating effect similar to stand development of film. You can see the clouds and the foreground, which is often pretty difficult with paper negs. I want to push it to a little more extreme before I write about it.

Also I have a B&L RR lens from an old Kodak 3A that I got specifically to make an 8x10 camera with. I've tested coverage and played around with the lens attached to a shoebox, but it's time to make some progress on that project too. I have some very specific ideas about it ( although I'm generally following Joe's old binocular lens camera. ) Maybe writing about it here will get me going on it.

Today I used a coffee can pinhole camera at the river to make a picture. On the can, the pinhole is about 1-1/2 inches above center, so it has built in rise. And it is has built in fall too, all you have to do is turn the can over! I got that idea right here. I think f295 if incredible for ideas like that.

Joe that lightpipe contraption is fascinating and I'm looking forward to seeing a bigger version! I do the same thing... I don't always grab a pinhole camera although usually it's a film camera, occasionally digital. I like traditional film photography and printing too, which doesn't land here at f295. And sometimes that takes up all my "photography time".

Jimmy I get 296 would be "the next" but I think one of my pinhole cameras is > F/320! Didn't someone here make a "pinhole telescope" for looking at a solar eclipse? The F number for that one probably takes the cake! That pano camera sounds neat and it sounds like it puts together a bunch of ideas that have been batted around all into one camera. I really like that idea of "built in changing bag".

Earl I'll be reading the blog!

Jon I'd love to hear about making a 14x17 camera! I have trouble developing 11x14 but I can imagine a 14x17 contact print could look amazing.

-Ned
    Last edited by Ned.Lewis; 11-09-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Seems like this is the place for baring our souls, making our excuses and begging forgiveness, so here goes:
    Well, being unemployed since last Christmas has been taking up most of my time; not working is really hard work, not to mention frustrating.
    I have been getting a bit of work making hand prints for a black and white only lab Some interesting stuff but nowhere near enough of it. Also been doing a bit of teaching darkroom, which is always fun.
    My ongoing projects have made little progress this year which adds to the frustration but reading this thread made me determined to get out so this afternoon and I took a roll of 120 pinholes , now I have to find time to develop them .
    For a while I have been aware of how quite f295 has become, has the novelty worn off?
    I had made pinholes and paper negatives for along time before I found f295 and suddenly my casual experiments took on more meaning, I think it pushed a lot of us along.
    Tomorrow I have six 20x16 and a 20x24 to print so that should be a full days paid work, maybe dev the film in the evening.
    I still visit here most days and get motivated by the stuff you guys are posting.
    Now I really do need to spend more time making images, any images.

Enjoying your blog Earl.
    Does light still exist if we're not looking?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dach_art/

If nothing else this thread got me going. I went out today and made two more "over/under" photos. ( overexposed/underdeveloped, actually "developed by inspection" ) So it got me moving on a project that's been going really slowly. I'm going to develop them tonight I will try to write something about it within the next couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by DaCh View Post
    For a while I have been aware of how quite f295 has become, has the novelty worn off?
    Maybe. I think there's a small community out there that love pinholery, and I'm frequently impressed by the quality of some of the images that get posted. I certainly hope it keeps ticking over.

One factor that I think does the site a disservice is the way discussions are split off into many separate areas. I understand why people do this, but conversations need a certain critical mass, and if you split your readers up too much you lose it. So in a roundabout way, I think f295 would benefit from merging all the smaller groups into just a few.

In the meantime, I probably should do something constructive, like start a thread!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast