Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade 8x10

Homemade 8x10

First test of 8x10 with MGIV paper negs. My wifes catus garden and my old Z. Paper negs scanned on Epson 4990. Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great set. Third one is my favourite. Maybe camera should be pointed a liitle lower to capture car bumpers, but it still the best. What is focal length of this camera?

Yes, very nice set. I think my favorite is the first one.

Look forward to seeing more images with this camera.
    See my photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drcphotography/

Wonderful set and it's doing an amazing job getting those clouds and skies. I really like the first one too.

Look forward very much to seeing more, aren't those 8x10 pinhole negatives neat? Sometimes I almost like the negs more than the "inverted" positives!
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Okay, those are very nice, well done. It's an interesting effect when you have a well-optimized pinhole in 8x10 format whose image is down-sized for Internet viewing, it looks like a glass lensed camera.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Thanks for the comments.

cezarioo my best guess is the focal length is about 100mm. I was using a .47mm pinhole for these, homemade so that's a guess too. The camera was made from an old wine box. I took the back off an old Kodak 8x10 and swiped the Packard shutter too. Probably don't need the shutter but it is convenient. I'll post a couple of pics of the camera.

Ned, I'm using a yellow filter for the variable contrast paper. Without the filter all was too contrasty. That increased the exposure times quite a bit. About 20 mins. average in bright sun. I may have flashed the paper too but it was in the holders for months so I don't remember.

Joe, yes you are right about these mimicking lens-ed photos. Being a 40+ year straight photographer, I'm just putting my toes in the water right now. Pinhole photography in all its wild and fantasied forms for me is an acquired taste. In its best examples lensless photos are interesting and engaging. I'm trying to loosen up and experiment more. That's why I'm here. It sure is fun to plop the camera down and guesstimate composition and exposure. Forget focusing and depth of field. Pop and go looking for another image. Liberating especially for a large format photographer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice set. I think I like the 1st one best.
    Visit my photos at
    pinhole http://rdungan.smugmug.com/Pinhole/P...4109&k=cVfxsqC
    black & white http://rdungan1918.deviantart.com/
    digital-color http://rdungan.smugmug.com/

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

Ah, not enough coffee this morning.... I was chewing on that "20 minutes" for a long time before I connected it to the yellow filter! Are you developing "to completion" or by inspection?

Nice looking camera!

Hi Ned, that would be completion I guess. About three minutes in Dektol 1:2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Steel View Post
    Hi Ned, that would be completion I guess. About three minutes in Dektol 1:2.
    Yes, rightly or wrongly that's what I think of as "to completion".
    I would have guessed about 5 or 6 minutes, but I've never tried a yellow filter on pinhole, so it might slow things down even more than I'm used to for paper negatives in a lensed camera! Or maybe your yellow filter is a bit stronger than mine... And actually 20 minutes sounds about right if the paper wasn't flashed. Thanks, I'm always curious!

Anyway, I love the way these look and am looking forward to seeing more!
    Last edited by Ned.Lewis; 12-13-2013 at 12:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast