Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8-by-10 Tailboard Camera: New Video

8-by-10 Tailboard Camera: New Video

Many of you might remember the large tail-board style nested box camera that I built several years ago, that uses a single element meniscus lens. Well, yesterday I made a video about the camera's workings, and would like to share the link here.

~Joe

"There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Hi Joe, I don't know anything about youtube, but when I click on this video, it says "This video is private". You might need to adjust a setting somewhere in order to share it. -Ned
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Fixed, it's now public. I uploaded the video overnight - it was in HD quality, hence needed much more time to upload, and this morning I forgot to change the setting from private to public.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Joe, This is a fantastic video! Thanks for doing this. I think it will help a lot of people get into the process.

Good show Joe! Sorry, couldn't help myself. There are a number of innovative features here and that shutter is too cool. Where would you suggest looking for cheapo meniscus lens? Jim

Jim,

I'm glad you liked the video. As for finding surplus optics, places like Surplus Shed have a good selection, as do Anchor Optics (which is not generally surplus but new).

~Joe
    Last edited by JoeVanCleave; 12-23-2013 at 10:34 PM.
    Visit my F295 Gallery

I enjoyed that very much! Thanks for posting that Joe!
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Excellent video Joe. The camera is excellent and that shutter is just amazing! Also, cool t-shirt!

Thanks for your kind comments.

The meniscus lens is a bit soft. The binocular lens is sharper, but to use it for anything other than close-up compositions I'd have to cut the front section of the box down to be shorter.

I'm not really skilled at designed multi-element lenses, but if I knew how to put together, say, a 4-element lens from surplus optics I'd do it. I can't justify the expense of purchasing a commercially made 200-300mm lens that covers eight-by-ten.

As for the t-shirt, it's from a local 'beatnik-style' coffee shop near the university, Winning Coffee, from where we buy our coffee beans. I've used that coffee shop as a fictional setting for a series of short stories, which I call Loser's Blend, that I've posted periodically to my blog.

~Joe
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Wow, great camera and video. This will be great for my summer class. I'm going to have them make 4x5 and 8x10 cameras and lenses. Alan Greene's book Primitive Photography has directions on how to make multi element lenses.
    Chris
    --
    Check out my pinhole sets at Flickr flickr.com/photos/pinholeblender/
    and my cameras at www.pinholeblender.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast