Thread: New Life for Old Cameras

New Life for Old Cameras

I've made another video, this time the subject being reusing old box cameras by shooting Harman Direct Positive Paper. In this video I describe repurposing an old Kodak Duaflex II camera, and describe the entire process from loading to processing the paper. I hope it's informative.

Here's the link:

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Well done info-vid Joe. Regarding the under exposure of the test shot, does Harman Direct Positive have a reciprocity characteristic? I have never used it but am interested. Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the comment. Regarding reciprocity, I haven't noticed any huge amount, and I've made much longer exposures. It could have been due to my metering, in the video you notice I wave the meter in the general direction of the chair but don't accurately aim it at the chair itself, perhaps some reflected sunlight off the sliding glass patio door behind the chair might have fooled the meter (or fooled this old fool) into thinking the scene was brighter than it actually was.

The two 4x5 prints made at the end were done in the kitchen (on the other side of the sliding back door seen in the video) illuminated by only window light, and the exposures came out fine; the exposure times were 6 & 8 seconds, longer than the outdoor scene, and so this might confirm my suspicion about the metering being wonky.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Nice joe,
    I'm enjoying your videos. Keep it up!

Great ideas Joe, maybe when developing the cut paper you can just slide multible bits into a 120 reel.
    Regards Shane
    - Suggestions on how to improve image always welcome
    http://www.ipernity.com/home/isisford/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/isisford/

Very cool video, very instructive.

It's interesting to see and hear you. From your avatars I pictured you as an older, craggy faced, gravelly voiced south westerner who has spent his entire working life out in the desert sun. You are none of those.

Ha!! No, I'm a somewhat old (57), somewhat craggy faced southwesterner who's still probably spent too much time in the sun.

~Joe
    Visit my F295 Gallery