Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tin Camera

New Tin Camera

L1070821a.jpg

New pinhole camera I have made for a photographer friend who is rather fond of tins.
    It is nearly 5x7 but the tin is just not quite wide enough so 4 x 7.
    0.35 brass shim pinhole. F=186
    I lined the tin with strips of 120 film backing paper and made a cable release operated internal swinging shutter so the rather nice picture on the lid is not obscured by bits of black tape.
    Paper is held in place with a couple of magnets.
    I did a few boring test shots that proved it worked and was light tight; then I made this image of a stair well in subdued light, I gave it 40 minutes and it is about one stop under exposed; doh
    Normal daylight shots are around 4 to 10 minutes.

FayePaper_002a.jpg
    Does light still exist if we're not looking?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dach_art/

That looks to be the 'Cats Meow'. Like the stairwell shot a lot. Any chance of seeing the shutter assembly. Well done. Jim

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries
    I like pinhole cameras that stay true to their origins, David. This is a lovely example.
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet

As requested here is the inside:

L1070842text.jpg

Hopefully the captions make sense.
    The paper is curved by the ramps at each end and held down in the centre by the two magnets which are slid down after the paper is in place.
    Simple and effective and also it allows the camera to be used for contact printing, works a treat
    I did not add a tripod bush to minimise the damage to the tin, instead I made a 1 1/2 inch diameter magnetic plate with three more of those magnets in it that attaches to the tripod.
    The shutter is made from scraps of black plastic glued together with plastic solvent.

Ingenious work, David. Regarding in-camera contact printing, can you share with us how you do that, lighting and exposure, etc.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

I like the foamcore light traps! Very nice design.
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Thanks for the details David. The magnets are very clever idea and I'm sure work well. Nice shutter too. I don't see nice steel boxes like yours around these parts but I haven't looked very hard either. Jim

PS- Curious about what came in this tin. No French here, sorry.
    Last edited by Jim.Steel; 02-04-2014 at 01:57 AM.

Original and clever tripod mount. In America 6x8x2 inch Oreo tins are sometimes available in second-hand shops. A mat board film holder can be improvised to hold 5x7 film flat inside these. Two inches is awfully short for 5x7 film. However, a mask can be made in the camera from film exposed to uniform light. This mask can be loaded in front of the film to partly equalize the uneven exposure from such a wide angle camera.

I've read that some old fashioned cameras also served as enlargers... and by using the same lens, they became "self-compensating". I imagine that an in-camera contact print could have a compensating effect like Jim's mask... the densest part of the negative would be in the middle getting the most light...

I used to think it was neat that light came through my 50mm nikon lens to the film, then the enlarger light from the film back through a 50mm "el nikkor" to the paper. There would be something even more satisfying about using the same lens or pinhole for both purposes.
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

I have used the contact printing idea previously in my 10x8

http://www.f295.org/main/showthread....camera-printer

The secret to making a glassless contact printer is curving the paper, if you lay two sheets of paper together they will not touch all over but as soon as you curve them slightly they will make even contact all over
    Use a piece of translucent white plastic over the lens / pinhole to give even diffused light and point the camera at the sky.
    With the pinhole camera the exposure time is quite long so I don’t use the white plastic, which will increase the exposure even more, I hold the camera pointing at the sky and then during the exposure I keep moving it so I will not get an image of the clouds or anything else. Just make sure that you do not get the sun in the frame, yes I have done it a black wiggly line around one corner of the image apart from that it really works well.
    No idea what came in the tin it was already empty when I got it, some kind of sweets I guess.
    Last edited by DaCh; 02-05-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast