Thread: foamcore sliding box

Threaded View

foamcore sliding box

This week I've been making single channel film holders like Ray Heath described:

http://www.f295.org/main/showthread....lder-need-idea

Also a ground glass holder. All the critical dimensions that affect the focus are governed by the thickness of the MDF rather than any cuts I've made, so the surface of the ground glass is exactly in the same plane as my paper negatives and calotypes will be ( +/- paper thickness... ) My design is slightly different from Rays: in the channel I put a paper, followed by a window mat followed by the darkslide ( the paper is taped to the window mat, then inserted ). So the window mat serves not only to define the frame on the paper, but also to keep the darkslide away so that it does not rub. It also keeps the paper pressed firmly against the back of the holder, so that it does not move within the channel and its position is well defined. The channel is 1/8th inch wide, and I was a little skeptical, but his idea of using velcro is awesome. I've shined a high power flashlight along the slit and no light is getting through. Inexpensive, easy and simple. The part of the camera that has the slot for the holders is also built from MDF, to provide sturdiness and a good snug fit. The holder dimension could accommodate an 8.5x11 paper, but the two I've built so far are made for 8x10 or 7x11 paper with a 6x10 or 5.3x9 window. The window is defined by the window mat, so these two holders could use any size up to 6x10. The ground glass is a piece of picture frame glass covered neatly with scotch tape and with permanent marker lines framing the sizes I intend to use.

Tonight I built the sliding box around these and attached my new Wollensak Velostigmat lens that I'm really excited about. It was really fun to see the image on the ground glass. All that's left is to make the darkslides, a little more work making sure all the seams are light tight, a little paint, and it will be ready to try! I was afraid the focus would be too stiff, but I think it is okay.

I'm very excited about making calotypes and paper negatives in this new camera.
    Pictures coming soon!
    Last edited by Ned.Lewis; 02-02-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added link
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)