Thread: Outside My Front Door

Outside My Front Door

It's been a while since I have posted here. The good news is that I have been busy with shows and have even sold a couple of prints, so it's all good.

Outside-My-Front-Door.jpg

(Larger version here)

Recently, a friend of mine, Dave Stovall, with whom I will be sharing space along with a couple of other large format photographers in a show late next month, gave me a lifetime supply of Kodak E100VS. He uses this film, with its highly saturated colors, in the large format size to create intense photographs of the American vernacular. The film he gave me is marked as bad because it is either fogged or has lost the characteristics he requires for his photography.

I love it when I get something like this, which is why I purchased a small freezer to store the paper that has been given to me by people who have switched to photographing completely digitally. I loaded a few film holders with the film, put it within my pinhole sieve camera, and gave it several minutes of exposure from the front porch of my house. Using straight Dektol I developed the film and loved the results.

Cheers -

george

500+ Posts
    Nice "glow", I like it.
    The world is not black and white. It often looks good in grayscale, though.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/msgallery/sets/

How do you come up with a development time?

I just gave it a guess, my plan was to just see whether or not it would work and I was pleased to see that it did. Once I get back to the film I will do some experiments to determine a reliable developer and time so that I can get consistent results.

Cheers -

george

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries
    George - this film looks like a good candidate for cross processing in C41 soup. Have you tried that?
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet

No, I haven't. I've got some E6 developer that I may use at some point, now that you mention it - may as well since I really don't use transparency film any longer (with the exception of this Kodak E100VS).

Cheers -

george