Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: progess with paper negatives

Quote Originally Posted by Ned.Lewis View Post
    Hi Ray, maybe different kinds of light or amount of uv?

Either way, if you think the negative will be best with one more stop, I think you should do that. I didn't mean to suggest that you should recalculate using a new filter factor!

Cheers!
    Ned
    G'day Ned

Forgive me if I sounded argumentative. I just meant that my experience and results are somewhat different.

I never really understood EVs, filter factors and such.

When shooting paper I just put a Y2 on the camera I use for exposure calculations and the same type of filter on the taking camera.

My biggest problem, with multi grade paper, is picking when the lighting/UV level will effect ISO.
    "The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each man to himself", Edward Steichen, in Arthur Rothstein 1986, 19.

Love your images Tim

The very dark foreground allowing good detail in the mid and background shows good composition and exposure control, great stuff.
    "The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each man to himself", Edward Steichen, in Arthur Rothstein 1986, 19.

I've been meaning to comment on this thread. These are great results, you should be proud.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Hi Tim,

The exposures are looking very good; well done! I use Ilford VC a lot too; I use a yellow filter, pre-flash, rate at EI 6 and develop to completion. A critical issue I find occurs with the paper negatives is that the reciprocity failure does need to be corrected for when the exposures get above about 8 seconds. I do quite a bit of lensed work with paper negatives so the exposures are short and reciprocity is not too bad. As Summer is approaching, the light here in the UK will reach its full 'sunny 11' levels again and it will be time to break out the pinholes on paper once more A problem I have with using a yellow filter to control contrast is that with pinhole images, every last bit of dust on the filter can leave a spot on the negative

Best regards

Evan
    More mad ramblings at http://blog.concretebanana.co.uk

thanks so much for all the helpful advice and positive feedback, taping a yellow mylar filter inside the camera
    produced weird artifacts and I won't do it again, preferring a glass filter outside... here's some near-misses...

this really shows the artifacts of the mylar-filter-behind-the-pinhole.
    early morning at Mono Lake...

img645.jpg

here, the dynamic range was just too much, so I lost all the low values
    Cloud's Rest from Tioga Road...

img646b.jpg
    Last edited by dasBlute; 05-18-2014 at 05:18 PM.
    The memory of things gone is important to a jazz musician.
    Things like old folks singing in the moonlight in the back yard
    on a hot night or something said long ago.
    - Louis Armstrong

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stormiticus/tags/pinhole/

still underexposing, twilight and dawn just seem near impossible, this metered at 10EV on the dark trees,
    but then dropped 5 stops during the exposure

should have started a half hour before, i.e. giving a full hour exposure ending with sunset...

pacifica, 1/2 hour exposure, Ilford RC glossy, yellow filter

img674.jpg
    - Louis Armstrong

Your Pacifica image conjurs up all kinds of emotions of mystery and romance for my wife and I. A wonderful shot, love it!
    Sam H.

I had trouble with the filter behind the pinhole but it was dust artifacts on the filter showing up in the negative. Looked like the "floaties" you get in your eyes, very disturbing. I finally gave up and as you get shakier with age the filter can't stay in one place long enough while holding it in front of the pinhole to register the dust .

I think you have a good handle on the technique and your results are top notch as we have come to expect. I particularly like the industrial look and feel of the tanks, very nice.
    "Most people know the names of only two photographers. One is Ansel Adams and the other one isn't." Bill Jay
    See Tales from the Dark Slide in the Gallery section.

One of the benefits of advancing years Marv, for me too.
    Sam H.

very generous comments, I am humbled and I continue... staggering forward... well, maybe sideways at least

Here's old P3 Orion [sub-chaser], not a great composition, mostly informational, with
    a wee bit of the skinless Hangar One peeking in the left. I want to get more of both in,
    but I need to make a platform for the tripod so I can get this camera off the ground...

img694.jpg
    - Louis Armstrong

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast