Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: on the verge camera build

Thanks Don. I don't have a dovetail jig either, but I like the idea of finger joints which I've seen a lot in wooden cameras. I'll keep your idea in mind when I get down to wood camera making - which will be soon, I hope. Keep up the good work; your camera is an interesting project.

Looks great to me.
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Got a little more done.All the hardware has been fashioned and is test fitted,so far so good! Need to install the Packard shutter and finish the ground glass back then sand,stain and reassemble with the Foamcore box and cloth bag bellows.Gonna' have to find or construct a support for the beast soon too.
    Been a lot of fun....
    Don

Last edited by blindpig; 09-24-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Am done with the camera and looking for some film.I probably will do some test shots using paper to practice with the Packard shutter as I've not used one in a long time and have to remember to remove my thumb when opening or get a short exposure LOL!
    Here are some pics:

Now all I need is a camera support for it.
    Let me know what you think OK?
    Don

Thinking about transporting and supporting during shooting a camera this large had me stumped for a while but think I've resolved both problems by modifying this dolly.

Haven't come up with a final design yet but the Fall is upon us and the light is getting good for early morning and late afternoon shots,so I'll have to be quick about it...
    Don

Wonderful job, Don !!! Inspires me to get off my but and start my pinhole. Hope you get a lot of enjoyment from using it.

A lot of LF'ers use baby buggies for their big gear, and I believe you can get 3-wheel models specially designed for hikers who want to take their baby with them. Something like that might be more manouverable than a dolly, but more expensive.

Thanks for the kind words Barry. I'd hoped for a better looking outcome but using things I had at hand resulted in a streaky stain job.I used an old can of walnut gel stain that is 2 or 3 years old and has been subjected to below freezing and probably 100 degrees Fahrenheit or there abouts in storage in my garage. Anyway needless to say it streaked and I figured instead of sanding it off I'd leave it as a camera this large is going to get battered just from moving it around in and out of my car etc.I'll post the camera support pictures when finished...
    Don

I think it looks wonderful. My foamcore and matboard creations are slowly but surely falling apart and I need to think about making more substantial cameras soon too!
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Ready to shoot!
    Finished the combination camera transporter/shooting platform and am ready to give this thing a good testing and hopefully find everything performing as it was designed. The yellow dolly wouldn't fit in my car's trunk so had to come up with another idea. The vertical tube on this device is removable allowing an easy fit in my car.Building a camera this large comes with interesting added little problems(like a person who builds a sail boat in his basement then realizes it won't fit through the door).I figured on carrying it in the back seat of the car but hadn't given much thought to moving it around etc.
    Here are some pics:

More to come(pictures I hope.
    Don
    PS. With paint and eye bolts the price is now $52 for this build...
    D
    Last edited by blindpig; 10-02-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast