Thread: Fort Johannsen

Fort Johannsen

Not really a "fort" but that is what it was called in the flood of 1965. Sgt. Johannsen of the Iowa National Guard and his fellow soldiers manned the fort surrounded by a sand bag wall keeping the sewage pumps running. Had the pumps failed the town would have flooded through the sewer system. They did this a great personal risk and it was only after the water went down we could see how far the sand bags had shifted in the current. If I remember correctly, where I am standing for these photos there would have been about 6 feet of water.

The photographic project is one I have contemplated but never under took, until today: make 8-10 photos of a subject and create a folio of work based only on those images. I guess I felt up to the task today and here are the results. The final out put will be inkjet print, 8X10 ish on photo rag paper presented in a folio package. I feel pretty good about the images having slacked for a few months on my photography and pinhole in particular. It is a familiar subject; shadows and machines and it sets a spark to the fire to try again. We'll see.....

Presented in the order taken.

W2014-Pumpstation-1f295.jpg

W2014-Pumpstation-2f295.jpg

W2014-Pumpstation-3f295.jpg

W2014-Pumpstation-4f295.jpg

W2014-Pumpstation-5f295.jpg

W2014-Pumpstation-6f295.jpg

W2014-Pumpstation-7f295.jpg

W2014-Pumpstation-8f295.jpg
    "Most people know the names of only two photographers. One is Ansel Adams and the other one isn't." Bill Jay
    See Tales from the Dark Slide in the Gallery section.

Very nice! (I sandbagged against the Chippewa on First Avenue in Eau Claire in 1965)
    http://idea.uwosh.edu/nick/pinholephoto.htm

The shadows help set things off, giving additional depth. I like the shadows that represent objects not within the frame.

Cheers -

george

Rich tonality, well-played shadows with a dash of surrealism throw in, all make for a very nice series, Marv. Nice work!
    The memory of things gone is important to a jazz musician.
    Things like old folks singing in the moonlight in the back yard
    on a hot night or something said long ago.
    - Louis Armstrong

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stormiticus/tags/pinhole/

Which river was that? I was in Denver in '65 when the South Platt flooded and made a whopping mess in Downtown