Thread: Cross processing fun

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Cross processing fun

Last Sunday was Pat and my first anniversary, so we drove down the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi River to dine at the Harbor View restaurant in Pepin. Of course, we stopped along the way to make some photographs. This is at a wayside near Maiden Rock, WI. This image was captured using some 1985 tungsten corrected Ektachrome that I have been keeping in the freezer. I processed it in C41 chemistry. I have another image taken at the same time that I will process in E6 chemistry in order to compare and contrast. There will be many more 8x10 color images using this film.

8x10 plywood camera, 100 mm focal distance
    400 micron ems aperture, f250
    metered at iso 35, reciprocity correction for color negative film
    1 minute 30 seconds exposure
    processed in Unicolor C41 chemistry (3 bath)
    scanned on my Epson V700 using Vuescan and color negative film settings

Anniversary1.jpg
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet

Wow! Fun my ass! That's 8x10! Serious shit! And you nailed a process that works for the film..look forward to more of these.
    The v700 is a pain for 35mm, but for 8x10 it's great!

Cross processed tungsten corrected Ektachrome? Golly!

The surprising thing here is what natural-looking colors you got -- a really lovely autumnal scene. I would have expected something far more out there color-wise.

Very curious to see the E6-processed image.
    See my photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drcphotography/

Ditto about the color rendition. I started googling to see if my expectations were off and the first article I looked at had the line: "Experimenters in weird colour often request 'cross-processing'"

I'd guess the E6 would turn out pretty blue under daylight, but I used to have a filter to compensate for that so I guess there's a good range of possibilities.

Nice Wisconsin autumn shot. Sarah and I went down to the Harbor View again this summer. Happy Anniversary!
    http://idea.uwosh.edu/nick/pinholephoto.htm

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries
    Tom Miller was with me when I was gifted this film. He told me that he did a whole series of slit photographs on cross-processed tungsten-corrected slide film that turned out really well, with saturated colors and good contrast. I have been meaning to test his claim, and now about 8 years later I have the facilities to process sheet film with any process without paying a nominal egg. So let's burn some of that ancient 8x10 film!
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet