Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Instant Box Camera Project

@Sam: That looks like just the product I need. Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you know how it works.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Am I losing my mind(again)or isn't a part of this thread missing,like some construction pictures and portraits of your wife showing early results and I even posted a comment,but can't locate that part now....

OOps!!! Found it on another forum.Sorry (guess I am losing my mind).

A typewriter portrait (of an SCM Galaxy 12), under bright shade, f/32 for 2 seconds. Note the fogging on the bottom of the image, I have that isolated to the camera's paper safe. I've since replaced the safe with a new design using different materials, I'll post results soon. Also note a slight lens flare on the right side of the typewriter platen, I think that's coming from the bright light off to the right of the image. A lens shade might help. Or use a more modern, coated LF lens.

~Joe

SCM_G12001a by jvcabacus, on Flickr
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    Visit my F295 Gallery

A portrait made yesterday under similar lighting as the previous typewriter image, f/32 for 3 seconds. She did a great job of remaining stationary. The camera was in the shade of the patio umbrella, so no lens flare or fogging of the negative. This might be the best portrait made to date with this camera.

~Joe

Andi001a by jvcabacus, on Flickr
    Visit my F295 Gallery

One aesthetic note about the previous portrait image. Paper negatives tend to render flesh tones darker than panchromatic film would. I gave this exposure a +1 stop exposure compensation. Still, her face is a bit dark. And the blue-sensitive nature of the paper also shows freckles and skin blotches very easy. Which is why, in the early days of cinema, pancake makeup was commonly used. I will have to learn to slightly over-expose skin tones, to reduce these artifacts.

~Joe
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Very nice Joe! And don't take away too much skin tone, I like the character it brings

great portrait Joe! really enjoying your progress w/ the camera. thanks for keeping us updated.

blindpig, if you can send me a link to the other part of the thread I can merge it into this one... (Joe, if you'd rather I not merge them let me know)

Here's this morning's test after the redesigned paper safe box. The old box was of cardboard, while the new one is made from flexible black plastic sheet (the kind you might find used as the cover for a flexible 3-ring binder), assembled with black gaffer's tape and using flexible sheet magnets as a closure device. The safe has to be operated one-handed, hence the magnetic closure on the opening flap. I'll post an image of the paper safe at a later date.

For this test, I had the paper safe loaded with this paper, out in my front courtyard in bright, morning sun. I opened the side of the box, facing the light, for about a minute, then closed it up, loaded the paper into the film holder and exposed this image, f/32 for 4 seconds, grade 2 paper.

No fogging or light leaks, but the crescent-shaped light mark in lower right is a handling mark, my fingers probably had some chemical residue on them.

~Joe

Front_Porch_Chair001a by jvcabacus, on Flickr
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Here's the new paper safe, made from thick plastic sheet, gaffers tape and sheet magnets.
    DSCF3240a by jvcabacus, on Flickr

And here's the magnetic lid opened.
    DSCF3239a by jvcabacus, on Flickr

~Joe
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast