Thread: Uninspired Winter

Uninspired Winter

In a pattern that has persisted for about three years, I had the same roll of film in the Populist all winter. Maybe we need to revive the New Year's Day gallery.

On January 9th (I checked with Sky Safari), I went out early to shovel, and the waning gibbous moon and Jupiter were staring me in the face in the west. Jupiter was so bright I thought it was Venus for a minute (in the west, in the morning. Duh!?). As with Mars last spring, Jupiter's trail is just barely visible in the full frame downsized image.

moonjupiter.jpg

But pretty noticeable at full resolution. I expected it to be brighter but I think I let the shot go into twilight. I thought I was paying attention. It's a subtle change, but the film notices.

moonjupiterdetail.jpg

It's usually no photography allowed in the Paine Art Center, but when they did their annual "Nutcracker in the Castle" show this year they let people go crazy and encouraged them to post the pictures to social media. Is this social media? I only got one decent shot, the oriental dance set in the Great Hall, because it was still no tripods, very crowded and they're very touchy about setting a camera down on the exhibits. I held the camera against a column for this one.

greathall.jpg

The hors d' oeuvre table at U Club. The photograph is only notable because I forgot about the camera for about 20 minutes (I'm part of the blur on the right) and a new chemistry professor who has been experimenting with pinhole noticed it and when I showed myself by picking it up, he came over and we talked pinhole for quite a while. First time that's happened.

uclub.jpg

I'm always comparing the Populist to other cameras. I've noticed these multi-frame panoramas people do with digital cameras, so I thought I'd try that. This is only two frames, with some judicious joinery. I did take three, but turned the camera too far on the third and tilted it in the process.

kitchenpanorama.jpg

All with the Populist. .15mm pinhole, 24mm from 24x36mm frame
    Last edited by dvoracek; 03-12-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    http://idea.uwosh.edu/nick/pinholephoto.htm

Great work, Nick. I especially like the last image, the short panorama.

I do think you've hit a nerve regarding the perceived lack of enthusiasm for pinhole. Yes, it takes a bit more work than other kinds of photography, and the results can often be disappointing to those expecting the usual uber-sharpness. And yes, I've been personally remiss in not shooting pinhole in a long while.

Shooting film of any kind these days requires special dedication, I feel. Especially regarding the cost of color processing. I just heard that CVS Pharmacy and Walgreens will both be ending their film processing.

I've felt for a long while that what motivates the pinhole photographer is different than with other kinds of photography. We don't measure our success by the standards of ultra-sharpness, for example. Often, the results are less information rather than more. There might be more highly charged emotion to a pinhole image, but less visual information. So there's this motivation factor about pinhole, taking pictures to see what the world looks like through a pinhole. It's very much a private, interior process, much more so than other types of photography. And so it challenges us to remain self-motivated, interested enough to continue the pursuit. That interest has seasons, it waxes and wanes.

Thank you for sticking to it, your work has my admiration.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

500+ Posts
    Nice shots (and stories), thanks for sharing!
    The world is not black and white. It often looks good in grayscale, though.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/msgallery/sets/

I'm very intrigued by the first one! The closest I've gotten to pinholing at night is to shoot at dusk. What ISO was the film? Looks like the exposure was about an hour... I'm going to have to experiment with this when the next full moon comes around...

It was Fujicolor 200 at f160. The exposure was about an hour. The moon trail is really easy to capture. It's actually really overexposed, it's nowhere near that angular size in the sky. You can get some idea of the regular size during a total eclipse. There's a pretty good one coming Sept. 28, 2015. A little low in the eastern sky when totality begins at 9:11 CDT in Wisconsin, but higher anywhere east of that and well placed right about on the Meridian in Europe about midnight.
    http://idea.uwosh.edu/nick/pinholephoto.htm

thanks for the info!