Thread: Portland Jasmine

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Portland Jasmine

For the first time, I am posting a real kallitype. After exploring argyrotype (which does the shadows well, in my opinion, but the highlights are compressed), I decided to try my hand at the ferric oxalate family of processes. First up is kallitype, with a simple sensitizer of ferric oxalate and silver nitrate. I ran some tests with step wedges, and created a curve and chose a negative. The image is from my trip to the west coast in 2011. I stayed with my cousin Naomi and her husband Tom in Portland, and was enthralled by the fragrant mass of jasmine growing up the backyard fence. This print, I think, does not do the image justice, but I feel that it is a step in the right direction.

8x10 negative, scanned, curved, and printed as a digital negative
    kallitype, sodium acetate developer, citric acid - perm wash - edta clearing, toned in gold - thiourea toner

The print looked fabulous in the wash, but I was disappointed the next morning. Two days later, I like it better.

I am going to try applying beeswax and lavender oil to see if that makes it pop a bit.

Portland-Jasmine001.jpg
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet

one thing I love about Kallitype is that you can use different developers to make the image warmer or cooler. I think it, like cyanotype, is greatly under-appreciated. Nice image Earl!