Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roll back pinhole camera

roll back pinhole camera

I've been working on the paper neg to carbon print unit so it can be utilized in other ways until larger lights become available and with my normal multitasking am working on another project as glue is drying on the first one.While searching my stash the other day to find an uncoated longish lens I stumbled on to a 120 size ideal format Graphic roll film back and some odd size pieces of black Gator Foam Sooooo another pin hole camera is also waiting for the glue to dry.Figure using cut down strips of 11X14 paper will allow for 4 or maybe 5 exposures per load.The focal length is slightly more than 4 1/2" and the pinhole is .39 mm.When the first project is done(soon) am going to have several toys to use and will start shooting the heck out of them.

OOps! guess I should put a 0 in front of the pinhole size(dang old age),it would be pretty big if I didn't.

500+ Posts
    Hi, awaiting some pictures of/from the camera!
    The world is not black and white. It often looks good in grayscale, though.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/msgallery/sets/

Hi Martin,I took a couple of pictures yesterday and haven't processed them yet but will soon.
    Don

The pictures I shot yesterday were on a really old strip og 11X14 paper and had base fog dark enough that could hardly make out images so shot a few quick ones today.The weather conditions weren't as favorable as yesterday(wouldn't you know),it was a little windy and clouds moved in and out over the sun but"onward"..Camera pictures first.

Then a few pics,negative strip placed on scanner diagonally for refrence.

Not the greatest but a fair start.
    Don

More

[URL=http://s820.photobucket.com/user/blindpigetc/media/old%20fence_zpsilsdejoa.jpg.html][IMG]http://i820.photobuc
    Try to improve as it goes along
    Don
    Last edited by blindpig; 05-13-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Here's more information(the wife called me to dinner before I'd finished the post and nothin's important enough to miss out on that) so the paper negative material is Ilford MG F surface and it's new and very contrasty I rated it at 6 ISO.being in a hurry I didn't preflash it which obviously would have helped and possably diluting the Dektol further than 1 to 8 also could help.Did use some slightly used old developer.The goat, weather cock and fence corner, were all exposed for three minutes and the old wood for 5 minutes. I feel the off and on again breeze and sun hindered these pics but I don't feel they are as sharp as I'd like.Am considering moving the pinhole a little further from the film plane,do you folks think that would help?
    Don

Hi Don, A great project!

Regarding pinhole-film plane distance, my feeling is that it may not make much difference. Over the last year I have found myself going half crazy trying to answer this kind of question, and my conclusion is that we should note the science, but our own gut feeling is also worth listening to. I think about 0.4 mm is usually regarded as right for 100 mm between pinhole and film, although most commercial pinhole cameras use smaller apertures for wider views (see the table at: http://www.alternativephotography.co...gh-really-said My next camera will be about 0.4 mm/100 mm.

I'm wondering in your case whether the lack of sharpness you're concerned about is due to the paper negative. The pics look good to me.

Cheers,

Barry

Hi Barry, thanks.
    The camera is made of two thicknesses of Gator Foam 1/4 and 1/2 inch as there wasn't enough pieces of one thickness and the pinhole is taped on the front of the box.I'm thinking of adding a 1/4"piece between the existing front(where it's attached now)moving the pinhole 1/4 " forward and taking a couple of pics then placing the pinhole inside the box moving it 1/4" behind it's present location and shooting a couple more pics all on the same strip of paper. There must be a sweet spot rendering a sharp image somewhere.Actually paper negative images can be as sharp as film images I've a few taken with lensed cameras which seem plenty sharp to me. Guess maybe we'll see.
    As an aside does it seem strange to have a rapid advance film back on a pinhole camera?
    Don

Don, I'm wondering if the paper is aged or fogged? I know paper negs can be very sharp. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by blindpig View Post
    As an aside does it seem strange to have a rapid advance film back on a pinhole camera?
    Lol... I'd say a motor drive would be wierder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast