Thread: exposure calculator

exposure calculator

You all probably already know about this but just in case you don't,the greatest thing I've found on the internet lately is the" Illford pin hole exposure calculator". I gave it a testing and think it's the most useful tool in my kit!
    Just thought I'd share....
    Don

I've seen tools like that before, and they're handy for sure. Do you have a smartphone? If so, there's some great free apps out there that are pretty reliable meters. One is Pinhole Assist and another is Pocket Light Meter

I haven't seen or tried the Ilford calculator, but I agree with Kier, the Pinhole Assist app is fantastic.

Thanks for the suggestions guys,I think you all might be too advanced for me.Being an old geezer I only have a cell phone and don't turn it on unless I'm away from the house.

Nothing wrong with that! Somehow folks did manage to take a picture or two before smartphones came along

Just the other day, my phone battery was exhausted so I was left to my best judgement as to what exposure to use. Starting with a sunny 16 exposure, I interpolated it into a cloudy day, then figured out about how much longer to use with the sun going down and getting progressively darker. Finally an extra long adjustment to compensate for reciprocity and voila, I used a 35 minute exposure on colour neg film. I suspect it will be within one or two stops of good and therefore quite acceptable. I love pinhole!!

Me too! Very liberating. I find lately since getting into pinhole seriously that I'm abandoning the rigorous approach I've learned over the years - no viewfinder, no light meter (sometimes), and no slavish record keeping. I'm finding that when I photograph regularly it's possible to relate present conditions to those I've worked with recently, making adjustments to exposure based on what worked then and a subjective comparison of present conditions. So far it's worked well for me. It helps that I use small sheet film and develop each negative immediately after exposure. I also feel that the longer pinhole exposures seem to allow more latitude in achieving a good negative. I'm not advocating sloppiness in method, just trying to focus on the image.