Thread: Pyramid 10x8 pinhole camera Mk2

Pyramid 10x8 pinhole camera Mk2

A while ago, I posted a start I'd made on making a pyramid camera out of paper mache. Unfortunately, it got heavier than the MDF former I was using as a mould. So, I decided to use the MDF instead. First picture shows the pyramid's sides being glued. Second shows the pyramid truncated - the 'capstone' acts as a shutter/lens cap. Three shows the tray which forms a drawer (along with a pair of rails) that the darkslide slides in and out of. Four shows the pinhole (skink 0.49mm) installed in a mild steel plate. The cap has magnetic plastic stuck to its bottom so it clings to the plate. FIve shows the camera on my UniLoc tripod (the best tripod I ever bought). Six - front view. Seven shows it ready for a shot.

Originally, I conceived the idea of a pyramid for direct positives. I will install a right angled prism so I get the reversal corrected.

The camera has a 12.5 cm focal length, f255.Pyramid pinhole 1.jpgPyramid pinhole 2.jpgPyramid pinhole 3.jpgPyramid pinhole 4.jpgPyramid pinhole 5.jpgPyramid pinhole 6.jpgPyramid pinhole 7.jpg

I will post test shots when I get my darkroom sorted out. I plan to do paper negatives and gum bichromate prints. By the way, I inherited boxes of expired 10x8 Ilford RC paper, but also about 5 litres of X-ray film developer. Does anyone know if I could use it for paper - maybe at a higher dilution? Any help appreciated. Cheers.
    see my other work at:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/paintings_by_johnnelson/

I remember the paper mache version and thinking that was a neat idea because it could be any shape.... didn't know that paper mache gets heavy.

A neat camera... I like homemade cameras where the film/paper holders are inserted as a drawer. As for the x-ray film developer, I haven't tried it but I can't think of any reason why it would not work. Film developers for photographic film tend to be a little less active, which is not a problem... don't give up on it if the image doesn't pop right up after 20 seconds or is weak after a minute or two. It could take a 8 or 10 minutes or more to reach completion.

Also please keep us posted on using paper negatives with gum!
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Never used X-ray Dev for paper, just paper dev for X-rays. However it will work after a bit of testing/trial & error.

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries
    That's a good looking setup, John. Can't wait to see the images. I have done thought designs of pyramidal cameras, but I have yet to build one.
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet

First test shots tell me I still have a ways to go. Big light leak is obvious - this is where the slide goes in. I'm sure I can fix it. Anyway I just thought, for the record, I'd share my first two paper negatives. The first is on Kentmere VC paper at ASA2 - no pre flash. The second was pre flashed for 30 seconds in the camera then rated at ASA6.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This looks like a great start. Get that light leak fixed and shoot some more! I like this camera design.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

another test

Looks like I've more or less fixed the light leak in the camera. However, my ad hoc 'darkroom' is still a bit leaky.

This is a selfie. Paper was pre flashed in the camera for 30 sec with a piece of inkjet printer paper over the pinhole then I used ASA 6 to calculate an exposure of 3 minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images