Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: F295 Announcement

Although not as active as I once was I still keep my finger on the pulse of f295. I have met more great folks through this venue and have made some life long friends. I will miss the group if that is the way it goes but fully understand the need to devote time to family, life and work. Thanks Tom for everything you have done. Meeting you and so many of the group in person have been highlights that I will remember for as long as I live. If not for this organization I would never have pursued pinhole and alternative photography and been poorer for the (lack) of experience. Fare well in your undertakings and God speed my friend.
    "Most people know the names of only two photographers. One is Ansel Adams and the other one isn't." Bill Jay
    See Tales from the Dark Slide in the Gallery section.

Sorry to see this forum go. I had stepped away from the forum for a couple years (until recently), and now regretting that I missed out on so much great content. Although my participation was limited, f295 and all it’s members (post & comments) have been a huge inspiration.

All the best going forward...

Even though I usually check the forum at least once a day, I usually don't scroll down below the top set where people post images. So, I am only now seeing this end-of-forum announcement (I started to suspect there must be some such announcement when I noticed people posting "farewell" messages). I am very sorry to see the forum go and I am tremendously grateful for it having been up and running for so many years. I am quite certain that I would not be anything like the photographer that I am today without f295. Although I had made a couple of pinhole images prior to stumbling upon this site, becoming a part of f295, meeting so many passionate pinhole photographers, and getting so much in the way of stimulus from seeing others' work and getting encouragement on mine, really made the difference in terms of becoming so immersed in this very special way of making images. It was also through f295 that I got an itch for "alternative processes," which led me to the great symposia and workshops Tom arranged: the wet plate workshop I took with France Scully Osterman was key in my getting comfortable with that process.

Tom, it sounds like you and your family are in a transitional phase. I don't know if you're staying in the Pittsburgh area, but if you are, I'm nearby. Either way, I hope we stay in touch.

All the best to everyone. I hope to continue seeing your work one way or another. I will continue posting my work on Flickr. I'm still one of the holdouts when it comes to Facebook.
    Last edited by DRC; 10-19-2015 at 08:53 AM.
    See my photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drcphotography/

Let me continue to say, thanks Tom for f295. I haven't posted much in the year (or two) but I always look to see what others are doing. Hopefully, f295 past forums etc. will continue to live as an archive. I will continue to wear my f295 ballcap & call myself a proud member of f295.
    Last edited by Ric J; 10-20-2015 at 02:12 PM.
    It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric J View Post
    Let me continue to say, thanks Tom for f295. I haven't posted much in the year (or two) but I always look to see what others are doing. Hopefully, f295 past forums etc. will continue to live as an archive. I will continue to wear my f295 ballcap & call myself a proud member of f295.
    And I will keep my f295 bumper sticker on my car!
    See my photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drcphotography/

Sadly, my F295 bumber sticker was towed away along with the pickup truck, some years ago. But I still have the darkroom apron!

I wrote a blog article about my feelings about this site's demise, typed - fittingly, I think - with an old Olivetti Lettera 22 manual typewriter. My intention is not to ruffle feathers or place blame, but merely to remember, for in the end, that is all we are left with, memories, which are the first things to pass.

As others have mentioned, I intend on starting a pinhole blog, a venue within which to rediscover my old images now moldering away in 3-ring binders, and to spur me on to new work. I'll post the link here when I start it up.

The biggest thing I will miss about F295 is the community. Ours was virtually unique in the Internet-based photography world, and its loss has not yet been fully appreciated.

~Joe
    Last edited by JoeVanCleave; 11-10-2015 at 02:51 AM.
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Okay, I just started a pinhole-dedicated blog, here:

http://pinholeobscura.blogspot.com

I intend on rescanning and revisiting many of my older images, along with discussing camera building projects, paper negatives, direct positive paper and related subjects.

If I get fancy with it, I'll try to make a blogroll list of fellow F295 members' new pinhole blogs, as a clickable resource.

As Tom likes to say, Onward!

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    Visit my F295 Gallery

I won't try to make a blog. I know myself well enough: anything that needs lots of computer time outside of work won't get enough attention and it will become a chore. Maybe when I retire...

What I was thinking of doing, sometime before f295 shutters for good, is to go through this site and save links to folk's blogs, flickr pages, etc... So then there's at least a chance of seeing what all you good people get up to.

Ned
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Great idea, Ned. I wonder if the Wayback Machine has any of that older material archived? Hmm, I may have to investigate.

~Joe

PS: In a fit of inspiration, I did three articles today for the new pinhole blog.
    Visit my F295 Gallery

I did some poking around via the Wayback Machine, and alas, it appears that, while the main forum structure has been archived, the content of each thread has not.

And therefore it becomes incumbent upon those of us longterm members who have created much content to find a way to share that information, whether it be images or camera-making ideas, in some other venue, so that the global pinhole community can benefit.

~Joe
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast