Thread: pinhole does not do this well

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

pinhole does not do this well

September 19, 2015
    Father Hennepin State Park, Minnesota
    Mille Lacs Lake
    8x10 f250

This is so far from what I saw, and so far from what I envisioned, that I think that it doesn't count. Despite that, do you folks with no expectations think that it has merit?

FatherHennepin002.jpg
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet

There's enough detail to tell it was a magnificent setting. But not detailed enough of a JPEG to see the fine detail of the reeds, or if it was present in the original negative.

As for composition, perhaps crop it vertically into a panorama, then print it wide - if the detail holds up well.

This is where my knowledge and experience fail me, if the same film had been exposed with a glass lens, would the tonal separation improve, not just fine detail? I dunno.

Oh, tell us what were your expectations.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Blog Entries
    I saw a bed of weeds extending out into a very big lake. The colors were amazing, and if my color images captured with my view camera were well exposed and developed, I will have grabbed them. The wide angle of this camera destroyed the effect, and the movement of the weeds made the foreground stalks invisible. Too bad. It was an amazing sight.
    because:
    -Don Van Vliet

Since I do not have the amazing sight to compare to the image, I do not have any feelings of disappointment while viewing it. I actually quite like it: good mood, light, and tone. I do agree with Joe, though, that cropping it to a panoramic format would strengthen the image (1:2 should work, but maybe even 1:3).
    See my photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drcphotography/

With no preconceptions, I like it too. It has a quiet peaceful and serene feel to it. I also like Joe's idea of cropping vertically.

Knowing that the reeds in the foreground disappeared ( since you told us! )... it may not have been as peaceful as it seems. Sometimes when there is a breeze, reeds in the water will make a neat suggestive pattern ... in this one it seems they were moving enough to become invisible.
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Hey Earl,not meeting your expectations is certainly disappointing but doesn't mean it's not a good image.I like it!
    Remember my mantra"Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while",LOL!
    Don

Now that I know I have no expectations life seems a lot less fulfilling.....

Regardless, as an image it is rather nice (pretty much a white bread and mayo observation, huh). I do know about not meeting your personal expectations or vision. That is the dark side of pinhole; for every happy accident (wow I never expected to see that!!) there is the flip side ( what the hell was I thinking??) and the abject feeling of loosing your touch.
    "Most people know the names of only two photographers. One is Ansel Adams and the other one isn't." Bill Jay
    See Tales from the Dark Slide in the Gallery section.

Ha! So true. But then we can put those in the bin, nobody will ever know they existed...
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Blog Entries
    Here's a pano crop:

FatherHennepin002pano.jpg
    because:
    -Don Van Vliet

Blog Entries
    or maybe better yet

FatherHennepinpano2.jpg
    because: