Thread: Building a Set

Building a Set

Some paper negative shots from the set build for the play "Fondly Collette Richland" at the New York Theatre Workshop back in august.

camera I built out of foamcore. the first two have pinholes poked thru aluminum foil, the third has a laser drilled lens.

08-07-15---NYTW-shop-[6-hr][web].jpg
    6 hour exposure

08-08-15---NYTW-shop-[8-hr][for-print]-copy[web].jpg
    8 hour exposure

08-24-15---Fondly-Build-planing-planks-[preflashed][8hr][web].jpg
    8 hour exposure

Nice work Aaron.
    Could you give some more info like negative size and material and did you print the negatives or invert on computer? just curious....
    Don

the paper is ilford variable contrast RC cut down to 4x5 to fit into film holders. then i just rubber banded the holder to the back of the camera box.

although i do have an enlarger, i'm not a very skilled printer, so i just scanned an inverted the images in photoshop.

since I made these images i've switched to 4x5 sheet film because of the higher resolution (and the ability to do color). even though dusting/spotting is a total nightmare.

Thanks for the information,there's nothing wrong with scanning etc.,what ever works for you.I agree with you about spotting(though it's easier with paper negatives LOL!)
    My interest lately is shooting on paper and enlarging to 8X10 and 11X14 size.The look reminds me of the old wet plate photographs.

I still have never made a pinhole photo on film, except instant film.

I don't know why exactly, but I've never had an urge to do it. Maybe I'm cheap or stubborn or something, not sure!

But I think it's more that somehow the simplicity of paper negatives matches the simplicity of pinhole... and that I can make an 8x10 or 11x14 paper negative that makes a nice size contact print and if I make a mistake it costs me next to nothing. So I can go about it in a very carefree way and not be too worried that I have to "get it right".
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Ned, You should try x-ray film. The 8x10 inch size is about 40 cents a sheet. Very affordable! It also allows shorter exposure times, and has a better range of tones.

Hi Jon, and can be developed under a safelight, like paper. Yes I've thought about that. And you're right the cost is similar. Hmmm.....!!
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)