Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My furure 6x17 pinhole panoramic camera

My furure 6x17 pinhole panoramic camera

No it's not M1a2 monster, it's because I have some pieces of 16 and 19mm MDF panel at home.

Hi everybody, some photos of my work this weekend. I've painted it with a black spray, add two filmguides made with brass tube. I've also made an "easy film remover" with pieces of plastic. After I've tested it with my 120 test roll to see if everything work right. I'ts a little bit hard to turn but the film suit well the circular guides.
    Next time I have planned to built the body part. Attached files

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by toniox
    I'ts a little bit hard to turn but the film suit well the circular guides.
    question (for toniox, dvz, and any other panoramic 120 constructors out there): I am thinking about making a camera very similar to this one. I am concerned with the ease of winding of the film. My question is if it would work better to move the film spools inboard and further forward in a design like this so the film path is outside of the brass rollers, rather than inside them. It seems to me that this would make the corner less sharp and the winding consequently easier. Also, there must be some way to reduce the friction along the long spherical picture plane as well.

I think of using a plastic material rather than wood to do the circular path will help reducing the friction too.

Certainly, the film should go over, rather than under any pin rollers (unless you're Rollei making an automatic-starting frame counter that detects the change in thickness at film start). If film runs under, there'll be a pressure concentration at the corners where it bends onto the frame rails, leading to high friction, scratching, and possibly collapse into the inner chamber.

I've seen cameras on the web that were made much like this one, but used a brass or steel rail to guide the film top and bottom. I'd expect that to have much lower friction than the edge of a piece of Masonite or MDF. Alternates would be teflon or Delrin covers on the edge.

beautiful assembly. i especially like the easy film removal system.

Quote Originally Posted by staft
    beautiful assembly. i especially like the easy film removal system.
    Me, too! Especially since we independently arrived at exactly the same solution for holding the spools. Since I plan to build a 6x17 camera with a curved film plane at some point, I'm really looking forward to seeing how you do the rest of the camera. Looks great so far.

You can also cut some low-friction plastic strips out of something like a one-gallon milk jug to glue over the guide area.

Quote Originally Posted by moot

Me, too! Especially since we independently arrived at exactly the same solution for holding the spools. Since I plan to build a 6x17 camera with a curved film plane at some point, I'm really looking forward to seeing how you do the rest of the camera. Looks great so far.
    I have no idea how to build the rest of the camera, i work progressively, when i find an idea, i make it.

Thats a fairly elaborate pice of equipment there! I have a circular mdf film guide, and I glued felt to it, and the film runs very smoothly now.
    Sorry, I had full intentions of putting the build up as a post, but I got obsessed with finishing it before April 30th! Its fairly ugly and primitive compared to yours (which looks like it could be a production camera by the way) Thanks...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast