Thread: Gold Toned Salt Print

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Gold Toned Salt Print

I received a care package from Artcraft today. Included was the makings for Gold/Thiocarbamide Toner. I chose an image that is familiar to many of you, although it has been quite some time since it appeared on the website. I have created a composite image of 4 prints. The top two are untoned salt prints - just exposed, fixed, and washed. The left hand image was exposed for 6 minutes, and the right for 12 minutes. The lower two images are gold toned. The left was exposed for 6 minutes, and the right for 9 minutes. Both were toned for 5 minutes. I chose 9 minutes because I thought that the 12 minute exposure lost some of the shadow detail.
    paper: Fabriano Artistico hot press, 90 lb., natural white
    salt: 2% sodium chloride, 2% sodium citrate, coated with a glass rod
    silver nitrate: 12% solution, coated with glass rod
    image: J.A.R. Bridge, Mississippi River, Inver Grove Heights, MN, Fathers Day 2005 Attached files

Blog Entries

Gold Toned Salt Print

I am so happy with the way this turned out that I am posting a larger image of the 9 minute gold toned print. This print has more shadow and highlight detail than any of the silver gelatin prints that I have made from this negative. The neg was just too contrasty to be able to pull it all out with my meager printing skills. But this print looks great to me. I will have to play with more and less toning, as the image gets cooler and cooler the longer that it sits in the toner.

As usual, the paper print looks way better than the scan. Attached files

Gold Toned Salt Print

Interesting that the untoned prints have a gold cast to them, while the actually gold-toned prints are much much cooler.

Nice shot!

FWIW, I see more shadow detail in the 6 minute print scans. Probably a product of scanning, uploading, and then being viewed on crappy laptop - but then all my stuff ends up the same way.

Blog Entries

Gold Toned Salt Print

Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    Interesting that the untoned prints have a gold cast to them, while the actually gold-toned prints are much much cooler.

Nice shot!

FWIW, I see more shadow detail in the 5 and 6 minute print scans. Probably a product of scanning, uploading, and then being viewed on crappy laptop - but then all my stuff ends up the same way.
    Actually, the untoned prints are a rich reddish brown. Gold does not indicate the color of the toner - it means that the toner's main ingredient is gold chloride (for which I paid $30 for one gram). And yes, the 6 minutes prints both show more detail in the scans. You'll just have to trust me that the 9 minute gold toned print is lovely in person.

Gold Toned Salt Print

my indiscriminate taste allows me to like all versions of this image, which i never saw the first time around. i have no doubt it looks even better in person, but it can't be missing too much this way. gorgeous.

Gold Toned Salt Print

Thanks for the side by side. It really helps to judge the effects.

$30 a gram.....ouch.....but it looks like it is worth it. How much usage can you get from a gram?

I do like the image; back to bridges, rivers and shadows....I'm easy to please.

Blog Entries

Gold Toned Salt Print

I mixed the 1 gram gold chloride with 100 ml of water for a 1% solution. I then used 12.5 ml of that solution (along with some other ingredients) to mix up 250 ml of toner. I do not know how many prints that will tone - I suppose it depends on how dark I tone and how much image there is in each print.

There are many recipes for gold toners, each of which gives a different color. I intend to try one or two others. The gold guarantees permanence for the image, as long as I have fixed and washed sufficiently. The same toner will work on silver gelatin images as well . . .

Gold Toned Salt Print

These are stunning, Earl. Bridges seem to be the topic of the week in alt proc.
    I'd love to see the original prints. The graffiti is a nice touch, a detail almost lost in the smaller versions.
    I didn't see your previous post of this image, honest ! ;D But if my subconscious self did, well, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. You are a great inspiration!

Blog Entries

Gold Toned Salt Print

thanks, Mary. Nobody has a copyright on images of steel bridges viewed from head-on. My image was posted in some side thread of f295, almost a year ago. By the way, a salt print of your bridge would give you both the shadow detail and the delicate highlights in your bridge image, if you ever decide to give it a try . . .

Gold Toned Salt Print

Quote Originally Posted by earlj
    By the way, a salt print of your bridge would give you both the shadow detail and the delicate highlights in your bridge image, if you ever decide to give it a try . . .
    I'd love to try salt prints -- without the gold toner, though ;D unless I really save my pennies!

Next on my list is VDB. Another kit from Photographer's Formulary that I picked up at Keeble and Schuchat when I was in California. I'm still working out coating and paper issues with cyanotype, and it's probably good practice for other processes.