Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A lion on Eastbourne pier

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

A lion on Eastbourne pier

I think that everyone who posted was correct in their own way. Sandy - EV is a very useful idea. It is based on a scale used by many camera manufacturers. It stands for Exposure Value. Here's a link to explain: http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm#Light%20Intensity%20Chart. I print the EV numbers next to the reciprocity corrected times in my little charts that I generate from Pinhole Designer. Here is an example. With a chart like this, I can come pretty close with or without a light meter.

Attached files

That's great info. Thanks so much, Earl!

Just to try to clarify what I originally posted about metering your palm -- Caucasian skin is generally considered be Zone VI to VI 1/2, but your meter expects to see a Zone V object (that 18% gray card). Since your'e metering an object that's brighter than the gray card, you need to expose less than what the meter shows, by a factor of 2 to 3 (one to 1 1/2 stops). "Close down one to two stops" is shorthand for "expose one to two stops less" and doesn't really mean you need to change the aperture -- but you always need to start your reciprocity failure correction from the metered and calculated exposure, so if the meter calculation from metering you palm says "f/180, 4 seconds" you'd actually expose between one and two seconds, and probably need no reciprocity correction at all for most B&W films.

Thanks for the explanation!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234