Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: blurred pics in first attempt

blurred pics in first attempt

Quote Originally Posted by yann
    yep, not really clear and i'm not the kind to imagine i understand when i don't
    ...if it were psychological, it would be the same for normal cameras...

didn't have my answer but it's good to see ppl trying so hard thx!
    Actually, digital cameras do seem to exhibit a similar phenomenon. Use an old low-res camera, or set a newer camera to a small image size and shoot a close up of a flower or something and a landscape. The closeup will generally look better. I think the same thing is at work - with the pinhole you have resolution limited by the pinhole size and diffraction and with the digital it's pixel size.

Your mileage may vary, and I could also be nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by yann
    the size of the film has no importance
    I'll pay that when you're talking grain as the limit of resolution in an image even a 24x36mm frame contains a huge amount of information and can be enlarged considerably; but when you're talking pinhole images, there's an issue with how much information the pinhole can put onto the frame... larger frames contain more detail because of being larger.
    I'm sure it's true but one of the other guys would certainly explain it better than I can...

for comparison, see joe van cleave's miniature (i mean TINY) camera and images. such a small image can only contain so many dots of silver or phosphor.

Quote Originally Posted by apn
    I'll pay that when you're talking grain as the limit of resolution in an image even a 24x36mm frame contains a huge amount of information and can be enlarged considerably; but when you're talking pinhole images, there's an issue with how much information the pinhole can put onto the frame... larger frames contain more detail because of being larger.
    I'm sure it's true but one of the other guys would certainly explain it better than I can...
    The maximum detail in the image from an optimum pinhole is proportional to the pinhole diameter and slightly smaller than that diameter, contrary to what a few armchair experts say. The optimum pinhole size is proportional to the square root of the focal length. Therefore, as pinhole cameras optimized for sharpness are enlarged, the blur in the image increases less rapidly than the size of the image. To make a rough analogy to digital photography, the number of useful pixels in a pinhole image is proportional to the size of the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jones

The maximum detail in the image from an optimum pinhole is proportional to the pinhole diameter and slightly smaller than that diameter, contrary to what a few armchair experts say. The optimum pinhole size is proportional to the square root of the focal length. Therefore, as pinhole cameras optimized for sharpness are enlarged, the blur in the image increases less rapidly than the size of the image. To make a rough analogy to digital photography, the number of useful pixels in a pinhole image is proportional to the size of the camera.
    ok, thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12