Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutter design

Shutter design

Someone off list asked me about the shutters I build for my cameras. It was much easier to draw picture than describe them in words. I'm posting the drawing here in case there is anything useful in it for others to use.

Attached files

Shutter design

Thanks for sharing the design, it looks elegant and effective. Do you have any trouble with the sliding part jamming from friction or, for example, if it gets crooked?

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Shutter design

Thanks, Eric. I have long admired your cameras, and envied your cable release capable homemade shutters. My homemade cameras all have lens cap shutters (which work very well), but sometimes a cable release is called for. Now that I have the 20 foot air bulb release, this is even more relevant. Perhaps I can make 8X10 hummingbird photos!

Shutter design

Mark,
    I've never had problems with this design. I make sure the edges of the shutter are smooth and slightly rounded and the cutout in the shim is carefully sized to the shutter.

Earl,
    What do you have at the shutter end of the air bulb type release? Do you have to buy or can you make an air cylinder of some type? I can see you now in your 'hummingbird blind' with your sugar water bait set out all over the yard. ;D

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Shutter design

The air bulb release has a standard cable release with the tapered threads. It fits everything.

This is the one I bought:

http://home.att.net/~sales3d/WBubbleRelease.htm

Shutter design

nice design, eric. it's similar to the design I use on my sheet aluminum cameras. do you have trouble with vingetting at wide angles?

Shutter design

Thank you very much for sharing this plan!!

Bino

Shutter design

thanks for posting this! Clearest/simplest design i've seen yet.... and,one can use filters with it too!

Shutter design

Thanks

Shutter design

I haven't had a vingetting problem so far. When I start a new camera I sketch out the angle of view on paper and that helps determine how big the holes need to be in the different parts. That's why there aren't any dimensions on the drawing, everybody is going to have a different situation.

As they say "Your mileage may vary"

Thanks for the cable release link Earl. I have got to get me one of these.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast