Thread: Using polaroid 350 with normal film

Using polaroid 350 with normal film

I have a polaroid 350. It is impossible to find fresh and cheap polaroid film. But may be I can fill the cassette with tri x 120 film and voala !
    But camera says it can use use polaroid films which speed vary 75,150,300,3000.
    What is the meaning of this ? Is it ASA or special polaroid terminology.
    And web sites say 350 shutter work between 1/1200 to 10 seconds. Do you know the all steps ?

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Hello:

I have heard of people refilling film packs, as well as mounting ground glass in an empty film pack.

Easiest thing would be to have one sheet of film. Layering multiple sheets would present two problems ...1) removal of a sheet of film into some dark vessel and 2) opaque material between each sheet

Taking your idea further, look at a recent post here from Retro... paper/cardboard sheet film holders for Polaroid cameras.

The film speeds were ASA, or ISO nowadays.

I'm pretty sure the 350 was an automatic exposure camera...the speeds are variable, not stepped, as required by the integral sensor, with a dark/light offset that alters the exposure time. One common trick with Polaroid cameras is to cover the sensor to effect long exposure time (probably the 10 seconds).

Imagemaker has a 350...he might be able to share some alternative ideas.

I don't know if it helps your film availability, but many people find the Fuji instant film works very well.

The 350 had an excellent glass lens. If you want to shoot a single sheet of film in it i would suggest you put in an envelope that you have cut a hole the right size opening for the image. There problem is the 120 film is smaller than the film pack opening so it wont lie flat without some help. You can make an little envelope to slide the film in. then in a dark bag or dark room, cut the film, slide it into the evelope, then slide the envelope in an empty polaroid pack, then put it in the camera also in the dark.

Make the one shot return to the dark room or bag and empty it into a light tight container of some kind. You can get a pretty good panarama since the image will be 2 1/4 x about 4 inches if you go full length on th 120 strip. you can do all this without modifying the camera at all.

You can also shoot the 100 iso film at 75 no sweat the negative can take that small amount of change. be sure to set the adjustment on the lens to normal. It you want to shoot trix set it at 300

Best i can suggest.

If you have a source of empty Polaroid film packs (even a single one) you can load a single 3x4 film sheet into it (unfortunately, 9x12 cm is just barely too big), put that in the camera, and make one shot (if you have a changing bag and light tight box, and some way to keep track of exposed vs. unexposed, you could carry a bunch of these and change in the field).

What you wind up with is an almost large format, auto-exposure rangefinder camera of pretty good quality.

Alternately, Diwan Bhathal has posted articles on photo.net and APUG on converting these cameras to use 4x5 sheet film in standard film holders, by removing the original lens and all the shutter mechanism and mounting a conventional lens and shutter of slightly longer focal length in the hole in the front board. He *says* the rangefinder is accurate enough, and though he relocated the RF unit on his in order to avoid problems trying to look over the film holder, there may be alternate soutions that would preserve the parallax correction built into the RV/VF units. Essentially what you get at that point is a very portable, compact, folding 4x5 rangefinder camera -- a worthy thing, if you start with a camera that cost $10...

He prefers the older model 250, but the only significant difference between the 250 and 350 is the 350 had a second battery that operated an electronic development timer on the camera back -- the 4x5 conversion removes that anyway.

I routinely convert polaroids to sheet film. I never had any problem with 2x3 as the back I build lies almost flat in most cases. In 3x4 the excess back is under the camera so it isn't a problem with the rangefinger.

The four by five conversion I do renders the rangefinder useless, so I just take it off and replace it with a viewfinger from a similar camera. If I need a really close focus I use a faux ground glass type focus.

At this moment I am building a limited view camera In 2x3. I left the view finder but since I removed all the strut mechanism there is no rangefinger in it. I will put a few marks on the lens track for focusing.

Polaroids have good bellows and for the most part the frames are excellent. The most often problems with them when purchased is. Dead batteries which can be replaced easily. The battery pack can even be replaced with aaa alkaline batteries. The second most common problem is unworkable struts. Somebody didn't read the manuel. With the damaged struts the best thing is to go with the view type conversion which is new to me and I don't know if anyone else has ever done it.

The camera on the left is a 2x3 note the range finder is in place. The one on the right is a 4x5 note the back covers where the rangefinder would have been. The price per build is well under fifty dollars.

Ps I like my cameras to look old and worn, since I shoot retro. You can make yours look anyway you want.

I moved my RF unit and it is very accurate from close up to infinity. The parallax compensation is still right also. I put a little tilt in the mounting bracket.

Attached files

How is it connectef to the lever of the strut system. Is there a small extention bar you attached somehow. If so how did you attach it. I would really be interested in that one.

Or is it just a view finder now.

I used a piece of hobby brass as the connection between the linkage and the RF unit. It can be tweaked for perfect RF adjustment. I believe in the K.I.S.S. principle.

Attached files

beautiful I think it is the best idea i have seen yet,

I was forced to redo a back on a polaroid 160 today. It had been built as a 3x4 but I broke it. I decided to heck with it I would go back with a 4x5 all hanging below the camera. The negative is still 3x4 but on a piece of availabe 4x5 film. There was no way to do anyting but cut the 3x4 from a 4x5 so why bother, I thought,

Your idea is a good one.

I like the brassing on the left one...like an old saxophone