Thread: Testing flash exposure

Testing flash exposure

This is my first attempt using flash with a pinhole. I borrowed my daughters toy railway (a christmas present by the way) for the test. Using a medium power flash (guide number around 30(m) @ ISO100), I estimated that about 10 flashes at some 25cm distance would do the trick. Since pinhole pictures often seem to come out somewhat underexposed, I fired the flash 25 times from various positions... 50mm on a 4x5 gives a pretty wide angle, and the flash itself was included a few times - not intentional, but I sort of liked it, so I didn't crop. Stand developed in rodinal 1+150 for 1 hour (J&C pro 100).

Attached files

Testing flash exposure

wow- the multiple appearance of the flash is my favorite part of this surreal experience. so this is what "first contact" will look like! (klaatu barada nikto...)

Testing flash exposure

And only with a pinhole can you take a picture that includes the flash and NOT have the flash completely blocked up; this one shows detail of the lens in front of the tube!

I like how the varying flash position gives a more even, "outdoors" feeling to the light. Just think, for only $2000 you could buy the flash equipment needed to do that with a single pop... :P

Testing flash exposure

Very nice tone and resolution, can you tell us about your pinhole?

Testing flash exposure

Thanks for your comments. The camera is a homebuildt wooden (plywood) box taking standard 4x5 film holders. The pinhole is made from a piece of sheet aluminium from a tea candle (is that the correct term by the way?). The pinhole is made by a thin needle, sanded with 600 paper, and finally measured and checked with a flatbed scanner.