Thread: any clue?

any clue?

this may be way off but...
    does anyone know of a device or sometype of adapter to go from a mini dv cable to a rca video cable...
    i want to send a signal from a pxl2000 to my camcorder - to use it like a mobil vcr

any ideas???

any clue?

Okay, let's see how confused I am. The PXL2000 is a Fisher-Price Pixelvision, correct? If so, and if it's unmodified, then it has an NTSC channel 3 VHF output signal, via 75 ohm coax cable and an F-59 or equivalent connector.

The mini-DV cable is a high-speed serial data cable that supports the IEEE-1395 digital video format.

An RCA video cable, in its normal usage mode, supports 'baseband', unmodulated composite NTSC analog video.

Assuming all of the above is correct, what you are trying to do is send an analog channel 3 RF video signal out of the Pixelvision, into the mini-DV input of a camcorder, correct?

Does your camcorder also have analog video inputs? Many of them support both analog and digital input/outputs.

Again, the problem is that the Pixelvision outputs modulated RF video, not baseband NTSC.

However, I know there are (or were) websites that gave instructions on how to modify the Pixelvision so that the output signal, rather than being modulated channel 3 RF, was actually composite video output. If you could so modify your Pixelvision, and if your camcorder also has analog video inputs, then all you need is an adapter cable from the RF connector to RCA.

One more thing: does the cassette tape drive on the PXL2000 also still work? I know the playback signal from the tape has lots of additional artifacts, but you could just record to cassette, and do the digital conversion at home, where the gear doesn't need to be portable.

Check out "Don from Lakewood", by Eric Saks, for an example of a great experimental video made with Pixel vision. The artifacts, even from the cassette tape playback, are part of the appeal.

If you're just looking for a B/W surveillance-camera style of video, it's easier to just get a small 'board camera' and adapt it in a battery powered box to the analog inputs of a camcorder. However, it won't be the 100x120 resolution of Pixelvision, nor will it have the slow shutter speed and video smear that are part of the appeal.

any clue?

its is a modified pxl from waterhed of ca... there is a rca out as one of its many mods as well as a signal amp that boosts the output so that it can be recorded onto a dv deck... i could record to the tape but i wanted to record to some type of deck with a screen for playback, to check lighting, framing etc. in the field...
    anyway the signal amp is a rca output and i am trying not to have to buy a videowalkman...
    if that helps the mental immage

any clue?

I know that most Sony 'Handycam' camcorder models have a VCR mode, where you can use the LCD screen to view an external input signal, and record it to tape. Many other models have that feature, as well. On most Sony's, the same switch that turns on power and opens the internal lens cap when in the camera mode will go to the VCR mode if switched in the other direction.

any clue?

My Canon Optura camcorder has an analog video input and VCR mode, and I think most other Canon models do too. My camcorder gets more use as a portable digital VCR than as a camera.