Thread: 4x5 film holders

4x5 film holders

Hello All,
    Is it possible to load 4x5 film holders with a paper negative, Ilford RC cut to size.
    Thanks
    Arthur

4x5 film holders

Sure. I used some Ilford RC paper in 4x5 holders and it works fine. As I recall if you try to use 4x5 paper it isn't the same size as 4x5 film so that's a complication, but if you are cutting down larger stock it won't matter.

Since you don't have notches on the paper to tell you which side is the emulsion side, be careful about that. You can usually tell easily under safelight.

4x5 film holders

With my Riteway holders, if you cut the paper about 1/8" off each dimension, it tends to fit nicely. That is, for 4x5 it would be 3-7/8 by 4-7/8. Preferably with a rotary trimmer. The scissor-style cutters tend to cut crooked, especially with narrow cuts.

Speaking of paper cutters, I've had a Friskers trimmer for years, the large one that accomidates paper up to 12"x16". The trimming strip has finally split (that's the strip that goes under the paper, that the cutter wheel gouges into). I've had a hard time finding the OEM replacement strip from Friskers. Most craft stores want to sell you a whole new trimmer. But I just picked up a strip from Staples. You need a bit of double-sided tape to keep it in the slot, and it's about 1/2" shorter than the original, but it works fine.

4x5 film holders

If you use paper for the negative, what speed do you use to work out exposure time ?

Bob

4x5 film holders

Bob, I use graded RC paper as negatives, and have good luck using an exposure index of "2". This speed seems to work well for both pinhole and lens cameras. I assume different papers would have slightly different speeds, especially regarding multigrade vs graded, where I expect MG to be a bit faster, albeit with higher contrast. I've heard numbers bandied about around "5" or so for MG, on upwards to 25; some of it also depends on your developer, although my experience has been to give the negs at least 3 minutes development time (in my case Agfa Neutol WA), to ensure the shadows are fully developed. Giving the paper adequate development time I've found to be crucial to good negatives.

Our member 'Retroshooter', who posts here on the alternative forum using glass lensed cameras, has seen speeds approaching 25 using a mix of paper and film developer, if my memory is correct; you can PM him for more details.

Like anything else with alternative photography, you should use these numbers as a starting point, and do your own calibration tests to verify 'your' process speed, given all the variables that can be different.

4x5 film holders

paper always curls the emulsion side is up.. thats how I always tell... Paper negs usually work best for me if I shoot them at asa2 or asa 5 in the bring sunlight i can do asa10 sometimes.

4x5 film holders

I made a chart for exposure assuming f/360 ISO 5 for Ilford paper in a post on the pinhole side as part of a discussion with flexnib128.

One came out OK ,one didn't (I think I lost track of the time on the second exposure) - I just handed teh filmholder to someone with a darkroom & he brought me a print. I scanned it & inverted it it was OK as is.

4x5 film holders

I'm runnin' a little behind on this one, but,
    "Photographic Facts and Formula" has a formula for direct reversal of paper negatives.
    I'd post it right now but I just realized I don't know if thats allowed ,copyright type stuff that is.
    if anyone is still reading this thread let me know.
    or just drop me a line and I'll send it direct like.
    I have only used this one once and got a two out of three success rate.
    It's a bit of a pain for the purpose of in-camera positives but it's kinda fun
    for makin' big ole enlarged paper negs.

4x5 film holders

One possibility, if you're shooting paper negs due to cost, is to use lith film, expose at about an EI of 3 or 4, develop by inspection in (dektol 1:6 is what I use). Freestyle has lith film, though valley litho in wisconsin has several that are cheaper, and just as good.

erie