Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: test shots with 8x10 homemade camera

test shots with 8x10 homemade camera

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shampoo_cam/392217443/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shampoo_cam/392217276/

Test shots taken with my homemade large-format camera, using a design from the 'Primitive Photography' book. These images used a pinhole for testing purposes, with the camera at minimum extension (10"/254 mm). Primarily it will be a lens camera though, but I didn't want to start building lenses until I knew the camera worked.

Paper was Oriental Seagull 8x10 Glossy, Grade #2. Scanned, inverted and contrast/level corrected in photoshop for convenience's sake. I've left all the flaws in, including mild light leaks and some developer fingerprints (I'm not used to wearing gloves while processing prints, but I had to because I had cuts from the glass used in the film holders).

Exposure time for the palm tree shot was 1:30. For the potted plant, 3:00.

Pinhole is 0.67 mm, f/378, focal length 10"/254 mm. Angle of view 65. I measured the pinhole (made from heavy tinfoil, cut from a disposable roasting tray) on my scanner at 4800 dpi, and then counted the pixels. So it's within .01mm from what I recall, although it took a couple of whacks with the needle to get it wide enough.

It ain't art, but these shots show it's working!

Looks good. One question, why use l3NZ when you can get this?

works pretty nice

Ingo

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow3
    Looks good. One question, why use l3NZ when you can get this?
    I agree. These look pretty d*** sharp and contrasty. If you solve your flare problem I think you'll have a winner.

thanks!

took me a moment to decode "l3NZ".

two reasons spring to mind immediately. wait, no three!

- depth of field. sometimes infinite DOF is actually less desirable. (i know, scandalous to even say it in a pinhole forum)
    - speed. 1.5 minutes in bright sunshine could result in some unbearably long exposures in less-than-ideal lighting conditions. i could of course switch to film and speed things up on the receiving end, but then i'm developing large sheet film, and that's a whole nutha world...
    - making a home-brew lens sounds like a challenge!

oh and it's not all that sharp. my previous pinhole attempts have been 35mm and a couple of 4x5 shots. i was hoping that the (lack of) sharpensss would remain constant, so i would get a perceived better sharpness with a larger negative. but it doesn't seem to be true.

OTOH, i do like the time-lapse aspect of pinhole, so this isn't going to be my last with this camera. but i probably won't be doing any indoor shots with it.

oh and thanks pinhole-ingo and scheimfluger_77. your responses appeared while i was typing mine.

yes i agree, for pinhole it's pretty sharp. i think i nailed the pinhole diameter, at least as good as i can do here at home. but while good, it's not good for all applications. having the option to swap out a 'lens board' (can't really call it that when there's a pinhole attached) is a great plus.

also, i spent weeks building this. it's way overbuilt for a pinhole camera! i could have just cut up a cardboard box if i didn't need to focus it. so lenses it shall have, and then i will have more choices than i know what do with.

These look quite promising, good work.

You may want to try making some contact prints to get a better idea of the image quality of finished prints; they can look very good from larger formats like your camera can produce.

I've used a 'l3NZ' with paper negatives on my Speed Graphic, wide open to get narrow DOF images, and I rather like the effect as a contrast to what pinhole images look like.

Keep shooting and let's see more!

Can we get a look at the camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow3
    Can we get a look at the camera?
    Dittos.....

.......nice start, I'll be curious to see your lens design. You might post our progress on it over in the alternative forum.....until then keep us posted.

thanks all!

Joe, i made a contact print from one of the paper negatives last night, as i had some darkroom time already scheduled. i've only made 'digital negative' contact prints before, and this was my first time printing through paper. looks pretty good! i can't tell if it's better than my scan or not, it's just different. more contrasty and darker, but that was a function of my enlarger filter selection i think. thanks for suggesting it, i've now finally done contact printing with paper negs!

longbow, you can see a few shots of the construction here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shampoo_cam/sets/72157594532753026/

thanks marv, i'm sure i'll have more questions about lenses, and will post over there (again) when i've got things moving.

i did just acquire a copy lens with a focal length of about 215mm. it's a little short, as my min extension is 260mm or so. but i ought to be able to use it for something. keep me busy until my lens elements arrive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast