Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade 8x10 with copy lens

Homemade 8x10 with copy lens

Further testing of my homemade 8x10 camera, based on Allan Greene's "Primitive Photography" book. I've graduated from a pinhole 'lens', and have installed a copy lens inside a lens-tube to hold it. The lens is a little short, around 200mm focal length. My minimum extension on the camera is about 250mm. So the lens is recessed a few inches inside the camera, and vignetting results. No big deal, just trim the negative.

I also switched to grade 1 paper rather than 2, which seems to do a great job in retaining range. However this lens is too fast, f/4.5 to f/16 only, and I don't have a shutter. Trying to get 1/4 and 1/2 second exposures is tricky, although I managed it. This was a 1/2 second exposure, paper having a rough ASA of 8. Subject matter was in open shade, on a bright sunny day. f-stop set to f/8, and I focused on spongebob's eyes.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/140/400501610_69bab31aac.jpg

This is a great example of what I love about improvised lens cameras with paper negatives. Outstanding results in terms of tonal range and sharpness, at least as viewed via the web. I would imagine the contact print could be quite nice.

Great job!

i think ths exposure is probably better for scanning, and i'd want to rate the paper at ASA 4 for contact printing. although i haven't tried contact printing one of these grade-1 papers yet, so i could be wrong. it just looks a little thin to me, but ultimately scanned very well.

and man it's sharp! i think i might enjoy this large format photography.... mind you, i'm next going to build some homemade lenses, and the sharpness thing will probably go out the window again.

Cool...what kind of copy lens was it? Nice find, one with adjustable iris.

I have three that are all fixed iris. One will fit on an Ilex #1 electronic shutter.

it's a bausch and lomb. says "8 1/4" f/4.5 1:1 mag" on it, as well as a stamp that says "+3" and "Apr 28, 1964"

i wouldn't know a copy lens if it snuck up behind me in an alley and hit me over the head with a hasselblad. so i didn't know i'd struck gold with a variable aperture. i may resort to sticking a homemade stop in front of it anyway, which would negate the coolness of it. although my bowler-hat moves seem to be working for shady areas at f/8, so perhaps not.

what i can't quite figure out is why the vignetting is oval-shaped rather than circular. it seems to conform to the paper size, which it shouldn't. i'm wondering if this is a function of lens cap removal/replacement. i'm left handed, would have pulled from the left, and since everything's inverted, the left side is darker than the right. perhaps that's entering into the problem.

time to build a guillotine shutter or something similar.

or move from southern california, to a place with less contrast and longer exposure times.

Process lenses usually start at f/8 or f/9 and go to high numbers, minimum 45, typ. 64, sometimes 90 or 128, occasionally 256 on older ones. Really long f.l. process lenses may be f/11, f/12, f14 and up.

The 4.5 and 1:1 is probably a key clue to a copy lens, although so is the sometimes-present label identifying it :O).

I looked up patents on my Ednalite ones and found that they were optimized for a particular type of lamp...basically closer to monochromatic than color-corrected...probably good for paper negs...color film debatable.

OTOH, after concentrating on Pinhole for so long, I'll bet any LF neg with a copy lens would look good to me. I'm not too fussy.

so what was/is a process lens used for? i assume a copy lens is for copying documents and such onto film. what's a process lens?

That is probably the best looking paper negavtive I have seen yet. I has a better feel to it than any I have ever shot. I haven't seen all joe's yet so I can't say anything about his but mine never look this good. Even my five by seven never looked so good.

The one thing I like about paper negs is usually I dont really need the shutter at all. pull the dark slide and then replace the dark slide ten minutes of so later..

Nice job

thanks retroshooter. i should probably reiterate that this is with a copy lens installed...it's not a pinhole. your comments lead me to believe you might be thinking it's a pinhole.

i'm finding that the grade 1 paper i've switched to makes a big difference. i had started with grade 2, but it was just too contrasty for outdoor scenes. it didn't scan well at all, although i never tried much contact printing with it.

i really should shoot some more with this camera, but other projects have gotten in the way (like a 2x3 press camera, and more recently a 'proper' 4x5). even my four year old son over the weekend asked me why i hadn't used it! so i shall have to enlist his help soon. it would probably be more convenient if i finished the tripod mount so i didn't have to shoot scenes from picnic tables.

I seldom shoot a pinhole camera at all these days. I do shoot a few paper negs though. Mine seldom have that particular sharpness at any point.

I shot a five by seven home made camera for a while and it was never that sharp but i was using half of a rectiliner lens so I guess that might have been a drawback. I shoot paper in my 4x5 graflex with a mint 3a lens and it looks really nice but I doubt that it is that sharp.

I guess the optar lens might be but I'm not sure about that either. I have a desire to build a tripod but havent found the right set of plans or the proper incentive yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast