Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

Visited family in NYC before the Pittsburgh symposium, and took this from Fort Wadsworth, on the Staten Island end of the bridge.

Attached files

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

I like the shadow on the water that could only be pinhole. This is a wonderful image, Mary. And I am not saying this only because it is a bridge

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

Earl turned me on to those shadows Mary. It is a phenomenon that I have used to great advantage. We all learn at the feet of one master or another.....with any amount of luck we can return the favor!

I see you also included a wall as well.......sweet.....

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

Sorry, a second, I have to put my engineering hat on! The slenderness of the structure that soars above the water and then gently meets the other river banks that is the amazing part of it all. However, the credit goes to Mary for capturing the magnificence of the structure in such vivid and imaginative details.
    Thank you Mary, delio

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

Wonderful photograph!!! It is a spectacular image of a great view.

Hope it is OK if I add a little about Fort Wadsworth, it is a National Park, part of the Gateway group of parks around NYC. The structure in the lower left hand corner is Battery Weed, it is four stories high, part of the same generation of harbor fortifications as Fort Sumter. Wadworth has preserved two generations of coastal type fortifications and they are a lot of fun to photograph. If you were to look to the left you can see lower Manhattan in the distance and also watch the Staten Island Ferry.

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

Very nice. My friend lives right next to this bridge in brooklyn, it's impressive. And you certainly did it justice.

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

That is a very long bridge, ramp to ramp. (I seem to recall 3 miles or 5 miles total...something insane like that ?

When I was a kid (1968 or so) we used to drive from Philadelphia to Long Island for Thanksgiving. For some reason it seemed to be traditional to play Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant on the radio at Thanksgiving.

If you were lucky, the radio station would play the 'Long Version', about 18 minutes (unless I have that number confused with Phillip Glass or Richard Nixon's tapes).

One year on this trip, we were just getting on the V-N Bridge and the 18-minute Alice's Restaurant started. With holiday traffic, we got OFF the bridge ramp as the song ended. I think the trip was roughly 90 miles and it took 6 hours some years!

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

;D ;D ;D

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

Oh! Ray I like your comment.
    That is one of the best bridges, it is elegant and grand!

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

Very nice Mary. It gives a graceful look to the structure of that bridge.
    Well done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast