Thread: some black and whites from lands end

some black and whites from lands end

shot a couple of zoneplate images Monday when I was out at Lands End in San Francisco. These were shot using polaroid type 59 and have the blue cast to them like the ones I posted in the pinhole section. When I scanned them I converted them to black and white and like them a lot better so here you go.

4x5 polaroid type 59, zero image 45 camera, app.12 second exposure. Attached files

love the water effect in the second one.... very good

Very nice shots. I think I like the framing of the second one the best.

I do like everything about the second one.
    That is gallery material!

But now that I've looked at them again and again, that first one is too!

Nice images Erin - thanks for sharing them

Wonderful seascapes but.. zp's supposed to be sharper than pinholes? - not that I know much about them. Very nice either way!

ZP's have a more critical dependency on distance, or 'focal length', but I have always seen blurrier results than pinhole.

I'm not sure what causes that.

I want to try a colored filter (w/ black&white) & see if that helps with sharpness. I'm not sure it can sharper than pinhole because it basically is a pinhole surrounded by additional apertures - maybe this is closer in function to a 'soft-focus' lens that has additional apertures.

The first application I heard of using zone plates was focusing 'soft xrays' - I don't know what the difference is between soft & hard xrays,