Thread: New Camera

New Camera

Since I haven’t posted anything for quite a while, I though I would share my latest camera.

2¼" x 2¼" format (6x6)
    f.125
    It has a tripod mount on the bottom and it will accept a cable release for long exposures. This camera has turned out to be one of the nicest that I have built, and somehow it took the least amount of time.

I welcome any comments.
    Attached files

New Camera

very cool cam, with lots-o-gadgets
    Where'd you get all the hardware? i.e. scrounged from ....?
    Overall craftsmanship looks very nice.

New Camera

Thanks for the compliment.

My 1st rule of camera fabrication is that you must have plenty of gadgets…or tape (duct or electrical); whichever holds the camera together the best.

Most of the materials were purchased at a local hardware store. A few things I had in the pieces – parts bin. The shutter was made from 1”x 1” aluminum angle.

New Camera

nice looking camera donb... looks like that shutter might owe a debt of design to MarkB's cameras... of course, how many different ways can one make a shutter!

New Camera

You may be correct on this being MarkB’s shutter design. I have seen this shutter design somewhere on these forums.

My original shutter design was almost identical except I was using aluminum flat stock with a hole drilled and tapped to fit a thumbscrew. This was not only easy to construct but it looked very cool. The problem was…if I wasn’t careful, I would easily bend the shutter. So once I seen a better way making the shutter (out of aluminum angle for a bit more rigidity), I thought I would give it a try. Plus I added the guide you see on the left, to help prevent bending over a period of time.

So far this is my second camera I have built using this design, and they seem to work very well. I still run the risk of bending the shutter at the mounting point, but overall, far stronger than before. If I end up making another camera with this type of shutter, I will more than likely use a stronger metal.

Thanks to MarkB on a great idea!!!

New Camera

Very nice looking camera. If it's possible can you show some picture of the inside, that's will be great !

New Camera

You did a great job on this camera!! What kind of wood did you use?

New Camera

A great design and nice construction.
    Is the back fixed?
    I like the two knobs, I assume this is so you can re-wind a bit if you over shoot the number; what a good idea!
    Thanks
    David