Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new 8x10 field camera

new 8x10 field camera

A rather unproductive summer due to a nagging sore shoulder (makes it hard to lug the 8x10 around very far) I built this last weekend, at just under 9 pounds, should make it a little easier to take out shooting. Still a bit of finishing to do, some edgebanding, staining and painting, but all in all a productive weekend.
    Camera folded:

Open, focusing a 210 angulon:

Side View:

all basic hardware store hardware, here's the focusing stage, driven by a 1/4-20 threaded rod for now:

erie

new 8x10 field camera

fantastic work!
    wonderful... a folding wooden field camera in a weekend...
    any more images of it?

tp

new 8x10 field camera

I haven't shot any other's yet, I will and post some over this weekend, after I edgeband the base and stain/finish it.

erie

new 8x10 field camera

...drool!

new 8x10 field camera

Very KEWL! Do you have plans for it?

Derek

new 8x10 field camera

very nice! :-)

new 8x10 field camera

No plans yet, but it's pretty obvious how to build it, basically full extension drawer slides, 2 pieces of plywood and 1/4-20 threaded rod make up the focusing stage.

erie

new 8x10 field camera

That's one of the most impressive designs I've seen yet for a DIY camera.

new 8x10 field camera

Jim,
    It's based on some of the lower end basic DIY CNC principles and practices. My larger camera(s) will have linear guides and high pitch lead screws (~.2-.5" /rev pitch). The biggest issue I'm facing is reducing weight w/o sacrifcing rigidity. I have a friend that offered to do FEA analysis of anything if I ever needed it, I may have him at least the base, there's plenty of unused area that could be swiss cheesed without sacrificing any rigidity, worst case a torsion box or honeycomb panel design would work and be light as all get out.

erie

new 8x10 field camera

Thta is an impressive design. Really simple, with off-the-shelf hardware and yet it looks to be a very functional field camera. Nicely done!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast