Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new 8x10 field camera

new 8x10 field camera

Just some updated pictures, with some sort of finish applied, though I might change it on the next one I build.

A quick question for those of you thinking 8x10, would you pay $650-$750 for a nice basic field camera that didn't have tons of polished brass and such? One of the reasons I started this was that I can't see paying a fortune for photographic jewelry, my wife keeps telling me I should start selling plans/parts/kits/completed cameras for those like me that have the desire, but not the dep pockets. Any opinions, advice and or concerns?

erie

new 8x10 field camera

As a cheapskate, I'd rather spend less on an older functional 8x10. Your design has some advantages, such as light weight. Traditional tailboard cameras have the advantage of longer bellows draw and interchangable and reversable backs, although the latter could be added to your excellent design.

new 8x10 field camera

Jim,
    it is in fact changeable, standard C1 back profile, in fact. I'm figuring out the easily changed bellows part, and it's a cross between a tailboard and full field camera, as the rear standard slides forward and backward. (as well as being able to skew it for swing) One of the things I will be working on this next week is an extension back (for 11x14) as well as get the darn removable bellows issue nailed down. In reality, I'd use substantially better hardware and all cherry construction, this was more of a proof of concept model, as it were. (as an example, real sliding retainers insted of screen door hardware, good quality hinges instead of the $1.50 Ace cheapies, etc.) The basic concept of providing a usable, inexpensive camera that doesn't require new bellows/refinishing, etc. is where I'm at. with the price of bellows these days, the cost of a 2D or the like and a set of bellows could conceivable push $550-$600, then there's the tranportability issue.

I didn't pick the design out of thin air, I had seen a Graflex Universal Field camera at a friends house and it got me thinking. The going price for one is upwards of $600 is usable condition.

Jim, as a cheapskate (I'm one too, otherwise I'd just buy one), would a plans/hardware not so easy to find kit be of interest to you (or somebody like you, hypothetically speaking?) Or possibly a completed back (95% of the effort and time, outside of the bellows) and bellows? I'm just trying to gauge what level I should start at.

erie

new 8x10 field camera

Not having delved into the DIY CNC world, did you shorten your drawer slides or did you find some that short? They look maybe 8"? Anything special about them or are they the common Accuride sort of slide? The more I look at this the more I like it.

new 8x10 field camera

standard off the shelf (out of the junk box actually) accuride 8" slides.

erie

new 8x10 field camera

I like the finish :-) I've been itching to try my hand with some 8x10 film sometime, my I'd love to look at some 8x10 velvia chromes :-D

new 8x10 field camera

Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis
    ...A quick question for those of you thinking 8x10, would you pay $650-$750 for a nice basic field camera that didn't have tons of polished brass and such?
    for my 2 cents I think that price point may be a bit high to result in sales, just my opinion. Personally, I find the older wooden folding field cameras to have great appeal and they can often be had at less then $500, I've seen several working versions go for as little as $300.... That said, I realize this has some weight advantages and possibly some movement advantages (?) but not sure if it would *catch on* with the buying public.... i suppose with the right marking it could, but for me, I'd go with an older camera instead....

I think you might have better luck offering plans/diagrams, perhaps you've seen Jon Grepstad's book?
    http://home.online.no/~gjon/jgcam.htm

that you could sell on Lulu and probably make more money/spend less time...

just some thoughts.

all that said, i love what you've done here and am anxious to see where this goes!

new 8x10 field camera

my biggest issue with buying a used older camera is that 95% of them need new bellows, if you buy them from one of the few vendors left, add about $250-300 to the price, It takes me 4-6 hours to make one set of bellows, the woodworking is the easiest part for me. I've been thinking about selling a psuedo kit, with bellows, hardware and plans,you add the wood, or alternately a back (I have 2 designs, a traditional spring back and one more along the lines of the Wisner 16x20 with a slide in focusing screen, easier and less expensive)

erie

new 8x10 field camera

if you could make it IKEA-esque -all pieces pre-cut, bolt/screw together, simple diagrams- and if it was hardwood i think you might find a following... it would be bulldog like but a step above..... but again, i think it would have to be sub $500 to really sell well.... when burning $3/sheet film the $1700 camera becomes the least expensive piece of equipment

new 8x10 field camera

Apparently you haven't been following some of my threads here and elswhere, if (big if) you don't mind or can deal with ortho response, there are numerous choices in the sub $1 per sheet range for film.

erie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast