Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speed Graphic and Cambo SC combination?

Speed Graphic and Cambo SC combination?

The butchery on the top of the body may have been done to permit using the rising front with wide angle lenses. I've done that, and worse, to Speed Graphics. They are so inexpensive that they can conveniently be modified for many special purposes. For example, a Pacemaker front standard can be modified and installed on an Anniversary model for front swings and tilts.

The Butcher of Graflex sounds far more ominous thanThe Butcher of Green Hills.

front opening with bellows removed 6.25" tall 5.75" wide (maybe a hair narrowed with the drop bed hinges, which you'd probably remove.

2-1/8" from front of body to '1st metal step'
    3" to '2nd metal step'
    3.25" to shutter curtain, which I apparently didn't include. Looks like I didn't include depth to ground glass, but I assumed you didn't need that.

Hopefully what I'm referring to as 'steps' is evident in the 'depth' ruler shots.

Hope this helps. "Precision' is with metal ruler. I think the measurements were 'right on' the ruler marks, without rounding to nearest mark. So it's optically close, but don't assume because I said 3.25 it's +/-0.005" :O)

Jim, I wish they were cheap when I look for them. If I had a speed with a working shutter but everything else bad (???) I'd consider hacking it down like Daniel's proposal.

Come to think of it, some people might think mine is ugly but it's the only 4x5 one I have that is useable (bellows, standard, focus rack ,etc).

Thanks again Murray! I'm excited to find one now, and see how I can make it work :-)

DB-

Do you want to know the focal plane 'window' dimension and the shutter slit width? (I mean the long dimenion, not the selectable shorter one)

I'm not quite sure what that is Murray, so I'm not sure :- haha!

Daniel,
    I was heading in the same direction, until a Sinar F fell into my lap for silly cheap, I figure the $300 I'll spend in time, getting a speed grpahic, etc. could just as well be spent on a sinar shutter, then it's barrel lens heaven. So, I'm going to be selling at least my 2 toyos (45E and 45F, with lots of accessories) and buying a Sinar C, then just wait for a P front standard to surface, that will give me a P for the studio and an F for dragging out and about, plus lots of permutations.

erie

How does the sinar shutter work? Would it work for large aperture lenses? (apertures up to 4-5 inches across)

I'm not sure, I haven't liberated $300 from the financial comittee yet.

erie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123