Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Doors in bromoil

Double Doors in bromoil

I just returned from a 5-day bromoil workshop with David Lewis on the Oregon coast. What a fantastic experience! Although there had originally been 3 other people signed up for the class, all the others cancelled at the last minute for various reasons, so I had David to myself. All bromoil, all the time! ;D
    I made 6 prints during the workshop, but this was the only pinhole negative I used. The others were l@ns shots. This print was made from a paper negative printed on Kirkland photo paper and contact-printed on David's bromoil paper (which is also a gorgeous matte silver paper for traditional b/w printing, by the way). The contact print was then bleached, which removed the silver image, leaving a pale greenish ghost image that's called the matrix. Then I used brushes to apply the ink to the water-softened matrix.
    This print is an example of the etching-like quality that can be achieved; different techniques and softer inks can be used to get a smoother, more photographic quality.
    I'd be happy to yak on about the workshop/techniques to anyone to wants more info. Just drop me a p.m.

PS This is a color scan of the print. The ink was sepia with a little black added. Attached files

Double Doors in bromoil

SLIGHTLY SURREAL BUT BRILLIANT ALL THE SAME, A SENSE OF SADNESS AND LOSS ABOUT THIS ONE

TOP!!!!

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Double Doors in bromoil

That's a beautiful image, Mary. It looks like a gravure print, as you point out. I did a little research on David Lewis, and viewed his website. Looks like he is one of the masters of the technique. I am envious of your opportunity.

Double Doors in bromoil

Double doors has been a favorite of mine since you first posted it. This presentation certainly does it justice and may be the perfect medium for it.

That may have been the opportunity of a life time, talk about one on one!

Very nice Mary, very nice.

Double Doors in bromoil

very nice Mary...
    I hope we get to see some of your other Bromoils on the alt-side of f295

thanks!
    tom

Double Doors in bromoil

Beautiful print, GG!

Double Doors in bromoil

GG this series of images is stunning - really suited to pinhole images you've chosen to use. Truly inspirational!

Double Doors in bromoil

Well.....
    The representation that I see on my screen would tend to lead me to think that
    the actual print, up front and personal, would be nothing short of being
    OUTSTANDING!.

and that is an understatement - having witnessed, up front and personal, GGs work.

Double Doors in bromoil

A beautiful image Mary. The bromoil and pinhole techniques are a great combination.

I hope you'll be able to continue with bromoil now that the workshop is over.

About 30 years ago David Lewis was my neighbour here on the Bruce Peninsula. He was doing outstanding work back then too.

Steve

Double Doors in bromoil

gneiss please show us the other prints!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast