Thread: Salted Paper Breakthrough

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries

Salted Paper Breakthrough

Since I am a glutton for punishment, I decided to sent out all handmade alt-process prints for this year's pinhole holiday card exchange (not a f295 event). My readings on salted paper prints indicated that the 19th century practitioners used paper sized with either starch or gelatin (at least until the albumen print took over). I have not tried to size before; I have also found that salt prints are very sensitive to differences in paper chemistry. For example, my favorite cyanotype paper - Arches Platine - spontaneously fogs with salted paper sensitizer. I mixed up a batch of arrowroot sizing/salting solution and applied it to Arches Platine, and lo and behold, I am getting the best salt prints that I have ever made. The detail is outstanding (due, I think, to the silver chloride forming in the starch layer, above the bulk of the paper fibers). The d-max is darker, and the contrast is much better.

The example shown does not do the print justice. This is a scan of a salt print that I consider to be a fine photograph, in the strictest sense of the term. The negative is familiar - one of the 2007 Pinhole Day images from the Symposium walkabout on Carson Street in Pittsburgh. Arches Platine sized with arrowroot, salted with sodium chloride and sodium citrate, sensitized with 12% silver nitrate with a little 12% citric acid, toned in gold/thiocarbamide toner before fixing.

I can't wait to print a tasty 8x10 with this process. Attached files

fantastic Earl! congratulations on your breakthrough
    have you ever tried the spray-starch and ironing sizing method? i've read that some are using it quite successfully but I haven't had the time to test it out...

Great image too.. and is especially nice as I was there for your exposure

I remember your other excellent version and this one kicks fanny. NIce job! Keep it up.

Very impressive work. The best salt prints have a lovely tonality and some prints using smoot papers are the best I've ever seen. Its inspiring to see you getting such good results.

Nice work Earl - great tones!

Quote Originally Posted by tpersin
    have you ever tried the spray-starch and ironing sizing method? i've read that some are using it quite successfully but I haven't had the time to test it out...
    Could you provide a link to some of thier tests Tom? Sounds a bit less time consuming than the traditional methods.

I think you may be hitting your stride Earl......looks pretty nice.

Congratulations Earl on this new breakthrough. Art and science coming together beautifully.

Steve