Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shower bog, county limerick

shower bog, county limerick

here are some images from my ongoing series taken behind the house where i grew up. once upon a time one could walk for miles with little sign of civilization or recent human activity. a couple of years ago they built a motorway through the middle of it, cutting off access to this ancient and wonderful place. now there is but a small amount of it on this side and it is much more dry than it used to be. this has its up-sides, i can now walk out across it without much worry about getting stuck in a ditch!

I_WALSH204.jpg

I_WALSH203.jpg

I_WALSH201.jpg

I_WALSH208.jpg

I_WALSH206.jpg

all are take on 120 film. they are a mixture of ilford Pan F and FP4 plus, developed in Ilfotech ddx and scanned.

i have only recently tried printing these in the traditional manner, it is quite different to printing 'normal' negs in that one must test the whole length of the image as bars from the center do not relate to ones from the edge... an interesting experience which i will need to do a lot more of in order to get right!

These are great, Isabella !

I really like the series and the third one is just beautiful, especially when seen enlarged.

Are they the Galtee mountains in the distance in the last one? My mother grew up just outside Galbally near the foot of Galtymore.

Lovely work,
    George.

PS....welcome to the world of the test strip!
    Please click on my flickr page : www.flickr.com/photos/seoirseosial

If a single photograph is a phrase, then a body of work is the full story.
    (Manuel Alvarez Bravo)

Interesting images Isabella, as well as the story!

That's a very nice set of images Isabella !

Hi Isabella
    Very interesting set of images. For me they have a ancient quality to them which is enhanced by the use of pinhole photography. Thanks for showing them. Kurt

These are great, Isabella !

I really like the series and the third one is just beautiful, especially when seen enlarged.

Are they the Galtee mountains in the distance in the last one? My mother grew up just outside Galbally near the foot of Galtymore.

Lovely work,
    George.

PS....welcome to the world of the test strip!
    thanks george!

in the center is keeper hill and the slieve feilims, further to the left then are the galtees but they may not be in the frame, its kind of difficult to be sure with the way the pinhole tends to spread the distant edges! I know of galbally but ive never actually been... i would like to climb the galtees one day, they always look so pretty in the distance, especially the pointy one on the western end

Interesting images Isabella, as well as the story!
    thanks jon!

That's a very nice set of images Isabella !
    really glad you like them colray!

Hi Isabella
    Very interesting set of images. For me they have a ancient quality to them which is enhanced by the use of pinhole photography. Thanks for showing them. Kurt
    thanks very much kurt, yes that is something i really like about pinhole. these images contain 1 to 2 minute chunks of time, double that on the double exposures. i feel that the images reflect this sense of the passage of time, unlike conventional photographs which could be described as tiny slices or slivers.

I presume that is ice on the water in the first; I like it! The stacks of peat are also pretty interesting. Kind of like transient cairns.
    "Most people know the names of only two photographers. One is Ansel Adams and the other one isn't." Bill Jay
    See Tales from the Dark Slide in the Gallery section.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast