Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jemez Canyon Drive, Part 1

Jemez Canyon Drive, Part 1

Today I took a drive north and west of Albuquerque to the area of the Jemez mountains and the little village of Jemez Springs. I came equipped with a 5"x7" pinhole camera, F/333, in whose internal storage compartment were preflashed grade 2 paper negatives. I carry the camera, changing bag, light meter and calculator in a reusable fabric shopping bag, which I hang from the handles of my tripod with its straps. If the truck is nearby, I change out the paper seated in the vehicle, otherwise I use whatever I can find as a seating area. Or, I also have a small, three-legged folding camping stool that I purchased for this purpose.

This is the first pinhole I've shot in maybe close to a year.

The drive through Jemez Canyon takes one past the Jemez Reservation and private property is common, so finding a place to record photographs can be tricky. This area, for instance, was rather scenic, but the property owner obviously didn't want trespassers. 47 second exposure.

A side highway takes off to the north and west into an adjoining canyon and Guadalupita Creek, with the adjacent road leading through the Gillman Tunnels, which used to have a narrow gauge rail line for taking timber, logged from high up the mountain, down into the sawmill at Bernalillo. 55 second exposure.

Several parking areas are found along cutouts in the steep canyon, with plenty of graffiti to mark people's presence, here found on the guard-rail. The creek can be seen in the distance as the white streak. 55 seconds exposure.

The side of this cliff was in north-facing shadow, and the sky had gotten cloudy. Plenty of interesting rock features plus human-added graffiti. High up in the image you can see a little statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe. One of the tunnels is off to the right in the shaded area. 8 minutes exposure.

(Continued in Part 2.)
    Last edited by JoeVanCleave; 04-02-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Part 2:

After the Gillman Tunnels I drove into Jemez Springs and had lunch at the Los Ojos Saloon. Interesting crowd, good beer and great burgers. Three other fellas at the bar were named Joe (!), and a drunk old lady was pretty funny, especially when, as this exposure was being made, she stumbled out of the bar, saw my camera and pulled up her shirt and flashed me. 2.5 minutes exposure (luckily).

Finally, on the drive back out of Jemez Canyon toward Albuquerque I came across the ruins of an old adobe dwelling, just off the highway but behind a barbed wire fence. I got the tripod as close as I could. 2.5 minutes exposure, a bit gusty wind picking up late in the afternoon.
    Last edited by JoeVanCleave; 04-02-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
    Blog Entries
    Joe -
    if you listen to all the words of Woody Guthrie's song This Land Is Your Land, you will hear about a sign that says 'No Trespassing', but on the back, it didn't say nuthin'. Great pictures. You are getting better and better all the time. Don't stop making pinhole photos. You do it very well.
    because:
    "a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"
    -Don Van Vliet

It wasn't just her ojos that she flashed at you? Pretty funny. Nice pics Joe!

I'm with Earl, don't stop making pinhole photos... these are great! I left a comment on your flickr version, but I really like the old adobe one... I think it's because it looks like a photo taken 100 years ago, of a ruin from 400 years ago...
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Joe These are just great photos. Like the others have mentioned please continue to make the PH photos. I also enjoy seeing a part of the states that I have spent very little time in. Always wanted to live in New Mexico, but it just didn't work out that way. Kurt

Nice to see you active Joe, you don't have seemed to lost your eye for a image.
    Regards Shane
    - Suggestions on how to improve image always welcome
    http://www.ipernity.com/home/isisford/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/isisford/

Wonderful set of images Joe!

Joe, I'm very glad that you are back with your great paper negative pinhole images. An excellent series of pictures and entertaining story.
    -_- Best wishes from Switzerland, René -_- my photos on flickr

I'd love to roam free but the simple fact is if you don't want your view spoiled by spray paint there isn't much choice. Plus it forces us to creative ends we may not have employed. Still be nice to get closer to that ruin! You are a paper pro Joe and I think, yes, thank goodness for looooongggg exposures......
    "Most people know the names of only two photographers. One is Ansel Adams and the other one isn't." Bill Jay
    See Tales from the Dark Slide in the Gallery section.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast