Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LIght Pipe Array Camera

Lord! I'd forgotten SmallParts...
    Still there, under Amazon Supply now, and they still carry the stainless tubing:
    http://www.amazonsupply.com/stainles...qid=1375387190

Dave

Surprised they still carry it, most of the cool gears and stuff went away.

No comment but that I'm sure looking forward to seeing a result!!! Neat idea!
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

It reminds me of your post where you mentioned "Last Things" by David Searcy about the man's attempts to capture the horror's image with an array of paint-filled straws. On your recommendation I read it. Very creepy and powerful read. This camera's going to be interesting. Cannot wait to see some images!
    see my other work at:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/paintings_by_johnnelson/

Thanks again for all your comments. I just finished my work week on Saturday evening, hopefully in the next few days I can manage to make a primitive film back for paper negatives.

~Joe
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    My Writing Blog: Joe Van Cleave's Blog
    My Pinhole Blog: Obscure Camera
    Visit my F295 Gallery

So, I built a cardboard enclosure for the Light Pipe Array (LPA), with a removable back that holds a single sheet of 4"x4" paper.

As for controlling the exposure time, I had an old plywood box camera with removable back, that the LPA camera would fit inside snugly. The wooden removable back plate I used as a crude barn door shutter.

Initial tests using a guess of f/50 for the aperture (length of each pipe divided by diameter) proved way over-exposed, every pixel spot was solid black in the negative. I figure the light gets reflected off the sidewalls of each pipe, adding to the exposure as compared to a pinhole of the same diameter by concentrating all the light into one small area.

So I assumed a faster aperture. Next test exposure assumed f/11, ISO12 paper, exposure 1 second under shaded north-facing porch. An image of me, wearing my white F295 smock.

And here's a version even smaller, where you can more easily make out my figure:

I did several more tests indoors, lit by my sliding glass kitchen door from north light, but results were a bit too indistinct, due to the low contrast. The LPA optic is very fast compared to pinhole. I was able to get some fill flash to work, but it over-exposed my face.

More experimentation is needed. I find the angle of view, designed as 50 degrees, is way too wide to get close-up portraits, as only the center portion of the array will be pointed at one's face, even placed very close to the array, reducing the resolution.

I'm thinking an 8x10 portrait camera, using an array of parallel pipes clustered together instead of diverging in a cone, would work for imaging closeups of people's faces. Using black coffee stir straws, like here, would be very inexpensive.

~Joe
    Last edited by JoeVanCleave; 08-07-2013 at 08:17 PM.
    "There was just that moment and now there's this moment and in between there is nothing. Photography, in a way, is the negation of chronology."-Geoff Dyer, "The Ongoing Moment"
    Visit my F295 Gallery

It's neat that you actually got an image, I was concerned that the bouncing light down the straw would wreck everything.

Perhaps another alternative for the pipes would be carbon fibre hollow tube. They use them for model aircraft building: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_6x750mm.html

More expensive than straws of course but cheaper than brass tube I think.

Simon

Simon, thanks for the link on carbon fiber tubes. The prices are definitely cheaper than brass, but I couldn't find any diameters smaller than 3mm, which is the size of my black coffee stir sticks.

~Joe
    Visit my F295 Gallery

I had no idea what to expect. I wonder if the image is reversed within each "pixel", or if there really is an image projected by each one. Could be an aggregate tone for the light in each tube I suppose, in which case smaller tubes = more detail. Thanks for sharing this!
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast