Thread: Winter Waterfall

Winter Waterfall

Some images from a roll I took back in January at a nearby waterfall. The images serve to illustrate both the rewards and dangers of shooting around, and up close to, flowing water.

The first image is from the bit of the roll where the camera was still pretty dry:

img396.jpg

As you can see, the image is sharp and clear. But as I kept working my way around the fall, I grew a bit braver and got right up close to the flow, which was giving off a lot in the way of spray and droplets. On this next image, the pinhole had some moisture starting to accumulate, but the result is an (I think) pleasant soft-focus effect:

img398.jpg

That turned out to be the last decent shot on the roll, since the pinhole was pretty much waterlogged for the remaining frames. Here's one example:

img401.jpg

So the trick is getting just a bit of moisture, but without getting the camera soaked. The problem is that it's hard to tell when that critical point has been reached.

Lerouge 6x6 pinhole camera designed/built by Philippe Leclerc (France). Ilford XP2 Super film with light toning added in Photoshop.
    See my photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drcphotography/

David, you're right that second one is a gem.
    Some photos: Ipernity
    ( pinholes and solargraphs mixed in among the rest)

500+ Posts
    Hi David, I agree with Ned -- the second one is perfect.
    The world is not black and white. It often looks good in grayscale, though.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/msgallery/sets/